Audio Compression Manager Codec

choff10031

I'm trying to load and transcribe a sound file recorded on an Ipod and sent to me as a wav file but every time I load it in the transcriber software I get an error message about needing an audio compression manager codec or something. Can somebody help me correct this so I can open the file to transcribe it?

Guest nchto

The file is a wav file but it is encoded using a compression codec. Are you able to play the file in Windows Media Player? Express Scribe is able to open most audio transcription formats, if it isn't able to and it plays in Windows Media Player then try converting the audio to a more suitable format using Switch.

• 2 weeks later...
The file is a wav file but it is encoded using a compression codec. Are you able to play the file in Windows Media Player? Express Scribe is able to open most audio transcription formats, if it isn't able to and it plays in Windows Media Player then try converting the audio to a more suitable format using Switch.

This wasn't my specific problem...but similar. I downloaded my first transcription .wav files and then Scribe wouldn't open them..."audio compression codec" problem, then crashed. I spent 4 days puzzling this one through. I couldn't even use Switch. The problem was that they were downloading as a .dct (or .dtc or whatever) file instead of .wav. Then I found the solution.

1) I updated my media player to version 10

2) I checked under "tools", "options" and ..hmmm I think it was the tab for file extensions or some such. The whole list of supported formats was checked EXCEPT .wav! Go figure. So when I checked the .wav box, closed, and downloaded the file again to my computer and it downloaded as a media player icon and loaded perfectly into my Scribe and played fine.

Maybe this will be helpful to others.

Blessings,

Puzzler

• 2 months later...

hi! i hav somewat a similar dilemna wid scribe v.4.05 not loading a .wav file...it's codec DSP Group True Speech. i've tried using windows media player but it also failed. Switch plus can't convert either...."the specified source format could not be read". i'm stuck. pls sos. m using vista.

eagerly,

emai

DSP Group True Speech isn't on Vista and won't be. I can wax lyrical about my thoughts on Vista, but instead I'd suggest you ask Microsoft why they decided not to allow access to that codec.

DSP Group True Speech isn't on Vista and won't be. I can wax lyrical about my thoughts on Vista, but instead I'd suggest you ask Microsoft why they decided not to allow access to that codec.

:(:angry: it makes me both sad and "grrrrrr"...but thanks for the info...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also having trouble getting express scribe to work with vista. I'm a medical transcriptionist and the company I'm working for uses encrypted .dct files. Every time I try to load it I get an error message that states... "unable to open .dct or wave file because audio compression codec is not installed on this computer or file is corrupt. If the problem persists see nch.com.au/acm for more information about codecs. I did do that but the page it directed me to did not give me a codec or link to a codec to install to resolve this problem. I did find on that page that NCH Swift Sound currently recommends GSM6.10 8000Hz for voice recording. Where can I find that so I can get express scribe functional. I know it works fine on XP but my new system is Vista, which I have had nothing but problems with from the beginning.

Please advise, I've had to turn jobs down because I can't get express scribe to work.

Indiana MT, try using a Windows XP or older machine and see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't, then please read the forum for ways of solving the DSP Group True Speech issue.

• 2 months later...

hi all i am a medical transcirptionist i ws struggling with express scribe on my laptop it kept saying that audio compression manager codec not installed so unable to play .wav or .dtc file.. and no matter what i did i cudnt even find a single site where this codec cud b downloaded... then i came across this topic.. and came to know about switch

i am a vista user.

what i did was

I downloaded and installed switch

then i selected a particular .wav file and converted it to .mp3 format in switch

BINGO!!!! IT WORKED!!!!

the audios are playing perfectly fine now..

but do make sure that u have .mp3 format checked in the list of supported formats in express scribe before u upload the audio to it..or else ul again get the same msg.

thanks a lot guys for the help am really very grateful :)

• 11 months later...