EXPRESS SCRIBE FOR LINUX

BertRillera

There are many transcriptionists who wish to get off the Windows platform but cannot because there is no transcription application software for the GNU/Linux operating system. There are a thousand and one reasons for shifting to Linux. Foremost of which is that there are not so many spies and dataminers that gets into ones computer whenever he or she logs in the WWW to receive audio files send back transcripts :( . Not to mention the increasing number of viruses and bugs that gets in through the windows :angry: . Is it not possible for NCH Swift Sound to come up with a penquin version?

• 4 months later...
Guest Richard Giroux
There are many transcriptionists who wish to get off the Windows platform but cannot because there is no transcription application software for the GNU/Linux operating system.  There are a thousand and one reasons for shifting to Linux.  Foremost of which is that there are not so many spies and dataminers that gets into ones computer whenever he or she logs in the WWW to receive audio files send back transcripts  :( .  Not to mention the increasing number of viruses and bugs that gets in through the windows  :angry: . Is it not possible for NCH Swift Sound to come up with a penquin version?

I have Express Scribe running under WINE in Suse Linux. It works flawlessly but I am still working with a minro issue regarding the DSS codec. You may try this as a solution.

• 1 month later...
Guest Abelartus
I have Express Scribe running under WINE in Suse Linux.  It works flawlessly but I am still working with a minro issue regarding the DSS codec.  You may try this as a solution.

Hi. I'm quite new to both linux and transcription and I get very few answers with regard to running Express Scribe in Linux. My question is, were you able to use pedals as well? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I'm quite new to both linux and transcription and I get very few answers with regard to running Express Scribe in Linux. My question is, were you able to use pedals as well? Thank you.

Linux doesn't support USB well so any Serial pedal system will work. I re-wired an existing pedal and made an adaptor for a another. Both worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Linux doesn't support USB well so any Serial pedal system will work.  I re-wired an existing pedal and made an adaptor for a another. Both worked just fine.

I have Express Scribe running perfectly on Linux supporting WAV, MP3 and DSS formats. To clarify, Linux does support USB but WINE (the windows emulator) doesn't support it well, so you'll need a serial port foot pedal. Here is what I have and what I did.

WINE: WINE_20050419_SUSELINUX90_I.RPM

Installation Procedure:

1. Install Wine.

2. Run "wine" from a terminal for initial setup.

3. Edit the wine config file to emulate Win2k.

4. Install Express Scribe.

5. COLD REBOOT. - You must do this!

6. Install DSS extender (DSS32.exe)

7. Test MP3 and DSS files. (DCT files still don't work.)

Happy Happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guest

I am a programmer for Express Scribe.

I have tested Express Scribe under Linux using Wine 0.9.2 and DCT files play just fine. Can you let me know if you are still having issues under the latest Wine and if so please contact me

craig at nct.com.au

where at = @

preferably send me a copy of the DCT that does not play.

Just got Debian Sarge Stable, with X-windows, no KDE or Gnome needed, Debian WINE 20050310 and Express Scribe working with Truespeech coded wav files. That was a big

problem for us. I'm new to this board and so I'm not sure if this info is of any interest. If you

are interested in details email me at: clint AT cnm-vra.com

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guest

I am a programmer for Express Scribe.

I have tested Express Scribe under Linux using Wine 0.9.2 and DCT files play just fine. Can you let me know if you are still having issues under the latest Wine and if so please contact me

craig at nct.com.au

where at = @

preferably send me a copy of the DCT that does not play.

Hi Craig! I love working with Express Scribe but my boss suddenly shifted all our PC to Xandros 3 Deluxe Ed. OS. Now got problem installing my Express Scribe. I have Crossover Office to install all other MS base softwares but can't seem to run/install Express Scribe with it. Could you help me out on this. Thanks!

Bytheway, I did download the Express Scribe for Linux but to no avail I still can't figure out how to install/run it. :(

• 2 weeks later...
There are many transcriptionists who wish to get off the Windows platform but cannot because there is no transcription application software for the GNU/Linux operating system.  There are a thousand and one reasons for shifting to Linux.  Foremost of which is that there are not so many spies and dataminers that gets into ones computer whenever he or she logs in the WWW to receive audio files send back transcripts  :( .  Not to mention the increasing number of viruses and bugs that gets in through the windows  :angry: . Is it not possible for NCH Swift Sound to come up with a penquin version?

• 1 month later...