SPA941 on NCH site is unlike Linksys SPA941

vanDivX

http://www.nch.com.au/hardware/ipphones.html

Hi there

how come this phone has that vertical 'white line' of what seems like programmable buttons just to the right of the handset, SPA's just don't have that at all, I looked on Linksys site and don't see this button layout at all on these types of phones

I am looking at buying some but would want to have those buttons that you can preassign numbers to for one push calling

and while we talk about these kinds of phones, if you have several of these on LAN, do they have intercom ability even without Axon PBX or not, I am not clear on this, perhaps it can be setup on the phones themeselves but is easier done by PBX?

also I would be interested to know where does the voice encoding happen via one of those VOIP codecs, is it done inside the phone like this SPA941 or is it done by the PBX, I suspect it is done by the phones, be they hardware like this SPA or softphones and probably what you pay for the phone doesn't make much any difference as the voice quality of your calls depends on how the encoded voice is transmited to destination, not how well encoded it is, right?

vanDivX

Guest nchto

We've moved all hardware purchases to AltoEdge, and unfortunately in the process the sites must have become outdated/incorrect. It will be sorted out tomorrow and/or early next week. AltoEdge sell the SPA-941 and is pictured below:

sipura.jpg

still I am curious what phone was displayed there, I liked that it had (or seemed to have) programmable buttons while it was a cheaper sort of phone, I am looking for a phone that my eighty year old mom could use and that means a set of buttons on the phone which you program and label them, unfortunately you don't find them on the cheaper phones or ones that are not full blown office phones with too many confusing buttons all around

even myself I wouldn't like those phones where you have to use buttons to scroll names on LCD display and then select one, I suppose one way around would be to set up shortcuts like #n (#4, #5, etc) which if you press on the phone they get interpreted by Axon as some specific number to call, not sure if that can be done like that, can somebody confirm it can be done?

then all you need is little card with written shortcuts and names that they will call

vanDivX

It would be worth asking AltoEdge your question as they may be able to offer you a solution.

thanks I will certainly explore what they have to offer, kind of didn't think about it

BTW how come half the phones out there have corrupted pdf manual, are those maufacturers so stupid that I have to put it so strongly and can't make bloody PDF for christ sake? especially asian companies are terrible, one has to wonder about their products too, I for one wouldn't buy from such sources

BTW I run the latest Adobe Reader, what gives? should I install some third party pfd reader or what, half the feature aren't shown or not shown properly on selling sites, you have to read those manuals, reviews on the net are mighty few, makes me think this voip thing is still teething and its not ready for every day usage never mind prime time LOL, what a joke it is shopping for phones, don't wish that trip on anybody, hard to find something out there one would really want unless you talk $300+ and more like $400+

vanDivX