Definitions of "clip" and associated stuff ....

Carbonze

I'm not finding it easy to get started with Videopad (bought in 2018! :) :( !). Clearly it's a great system, but I need help to get going. I'm very deaf and for me the Youtube tutorials are too cryptic, with a need to watch both subtitles and the GUI. Not easy.  Learning by doing has not yet been successful: lots of doing but  experimentation has not yet revealed how the system works.  So, finally I am posting in hopes  that  help will come and light will dawn. 

For example, what is a "clip"? The faq lists the different types of clip, but does not actually define clip (by analogy, persons can have various genders, but we need first to define person).  Is clip simply a synonym for  video, audio, image, etc? An imported video file seems to become a clip when it is imported to Videopad.  But if it is then subdivided into several bits, are they too clips?  Confusingly, for me,  the  properties for an entry in the "Video Files Bin" includes File info (location, duration), but also clip info (clip duration, start-time, end-time). But there is only one entry per file, even if the file has been sub-divided into several parts ("clips??").  Is there no listing of clips somewhere (other than looking at the Timeline or Storyboard)?

I have a few video files, each of which I want need to sub-divide into several clips (A, B, C etc), to form a sequence of clips, eg  A,C, B  (and effects, in due course).  I had expected that the clips A-C would appear in a "clip bin".  And from there I would arrange them in a sequence. But I can find no list of them clips!  Such a list would allow me to create another sequence from them.  Is there no list/bin/folder  of such clips?

What am I missing?! 

Mystified/frustrated/ in hope

Michael

(The username carbonze  reflects my use of radiocarbon, C-11 in plant science, analogous to F-18 for PET imaging and mammalian physiology. Those nuclides decay in a similar way by emission of a positron).

When an audio/video, still image or just plain audio file is imported, it is referred to as a clip.

There, a single segment can be isolated.  Click on the clip, then move the cursor to where the segment you want should begin.   Click the SET START button.  Move the cursor to where the segment will end and click SET END...  image.png

Then either drag the clip to the timeline or right-click on it for placement options...  image.png 

The trimmed segment appears on the timeline by there's no change in appearance of the original clip in the bin.

An alternative to this bin clip procedure is to drag a clip to the timeline and isolate segments there, by creating an IN and and OUT splits.  Each section of that single bin clip is considered to be a new clip, just as if different clips have been placed there.  Bin clips won't reflect those changes. 

That said, if an effect is added to a bin clip, the effect will carry over when the clip is placed on the timeline.  Normally it's on the timeline that clips are rearranged, and effects and transitions added.  Importing a single clip to the bin multiple times, and using the bin SET method described above isn't necessary.

Check in again in you need more clarification.

Progress, many thanks to Borate (does the username reflect the cleansing properties of borate, chlorate and bicarbonate?! or, better, borat the british comedian ...  or merely a corporate entity rep ...

I assume that each section of an imported clip is simply the  start/end time within a file.  But, is there a list of such clip sections?  How can I  use a specific clip/section in more than one sequence? Is it necessary to repeat the start/end selection process?  (I'm hoping that a project's clips are listed in a folder - a bin?!)

Say that there's a single clip on the timeline chopped into segments with the SPLIT function.  There will be no listing of those individual segments.

But a segment can be selected and copied, using <ctrl-C>, and then pasted into another spot on the timeline or into another sequence, using <ctrl-V>.

Another project can be imported into the current project via the FILE menu.  Import.jpg

Its clips will show up in the appropriate bins, and the imported project will become a new timeline sequence.

Timeline clip segments can be copied back to the bin.  Drag them.  They will be given incremental (numbers) and deleted from the timeline....

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

• borate changed the title to Definitions of "clip" and associated stuff ....