What files will ExpressScribe "recognize" on a Mac?

lorriksmith

I work at a word processing business and usually work from home (on my PC), only going to the office a couple of days a week. Recently the owner went out of town for a week, and I had to man the office for usual business hours. I tried to prepare ahead of time so that I could do transcription while there, as well as manage the runnings of the office. I purchased Olympus transcription equipment, installed it and imported a file that I have as a sample file for people who want to "try out" for transcription (which happened to be a DSS file). I later learned that the only files that the software would recognize on the Mac were DSS files, leaving us positively buried with work and with no way for me to help get any of it done. Needless to say we have some unhappy clients right now.

Any ideas as to what files ExpressScribe will recognize on the Mac? Does anyone know if it causes problems if clients send files from PC's to us and I am opening them on the Mac? I want to use the ExpressScribe software, have already downloaded it at the office, in fact, but don't want to order a foot pedal only to find myself in the same situation. I already have to explain to the owner why I'm not there today (call forwarded to my home phone and got our email provider to forward all emails to the home address). Now I have to present to her the fact that the software that we spent $195 on for the office computer doesn't work. Help please!

www.nch.com.au/scribe/faq.html: Q. What file formats can Express Scribe load?

Express Scribe for Mac OS X can be used to load wav, mp3, aiff and dct file formats.

Sending files from a PC to a Mac is fine. You should have invested in Express Dictate, instead of this Olympus stuff as they provide very little support for converting from DSS on the PC platform, and no support at all on the Mac.

Yes, I guess I learned that the hard way! Does Express Dictate convert files? I have been so frustrated, having so many different file types come in from clients for transcription on my PC and with a little "Googling" come up with some program that will convert them, usually free of charge. I've always then been able to transcribe them with no problems.

I can only admit to ignorance on this score! Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that I have taken both WAV and AIFF files to the office and not been able to play them on the Olympus, even though it claims to recognize and play both. I'll be ordering a foot pedal from NCH Swift Sound.

Thanks again!

I work at a word processing business and usually work from home (on my PC), only going to the office a couple of days a week. Recently the owner went out of town for a week, and I had to man the office for usual business hours. I tried to prepare ahead of time so that I could do transcription while there, as well as manage the runnings of the office. I purchased Olympus transcription equipment, installed it and imported a file that I have as a sample file for people who want to "try out" for transcription (which happened to be a DSS file). I later learned that the only files that the software would recognize on the Mac were DSS files, leaving us positively buried with work and with no way for me to help get any of it done. Needless to say we have some unhappy clients right now.

Any ideas as to what files ExpressScribe will recognize on the Mac? Does anyone know if it causes problems if clients send files from PC's to us and I am opening them on the Mac? I want to use the ExpressScribe software, have already downloaded it at the office, in fact, but don't want to order a foot pedal only to find myself in the same situation. I already have to explain to the owner why I'm not there today (call forwarded to my home phone and got our email provider to forward all emails to the home address). Now I have to present to her the fact that the software that we spent $195 on for the office computer doesn't work. Help please!

Does Express Dictate convert files? I have been so frustrated, having so many different file types come in from clients for transcription on my PC and with a little "Googling" come up with some program that will convert them, usually free of charge.

Express Dictate is able to open a wide variety of formats, however if you are looking for a converter specifically then please have a look at Switch. We have just released a new version for Mac (v1.12) which should support all the file formats you throw at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new MacBook Pro and want to buy a digital voice recorder for in-person and phone interviews (I'm a journalist) and use Express Scribe and an NCH foot pedal to transcribe them. But I don't want the added step of converting the recorder's audio files into something Scribe can recognize. Are there any good digital voice recorders -- that is, portable ones that I can carry around in my pocket -- that create files in a format that the Mac version of Scribe will recognize? I want to buy an Olympus, but they seem to create only DSS and WMA formats, which Scribe won't read. (In fact, even the Swtch converter won't convert them for Macs.)

Recommendations?