Jerky Panning shots

Bob Drake

Hello everyone,

I have a video clip in which each panning shot - say, from one side of a room to the other - seems to 'jerk' or 'stutter'. Are there are tools I can use in VideoPad that will help to minimise this and make the panning shots smoother please? (I didn't shoot the clip myself - it's a download from the web.) All help gratefully received. Many thanks, Bob Drake 

What version of Videopad is in use?

What's the resolution of the clip?  4K?

Please share it, and someone will take a look.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Thanks for sharing.

Don't know that much can be done about this, as it jitters in the original - especially during the book pan near the end - when viewed in no less than four media players and another editor.

The issue may not be as noticeable in the export as it is in preview.

What's the URL for this clip?

If available, try to capture the file at different settings.  Perhaps that will result in a cleaner downloaded file.

To Borate from Bob,

Many thanks for testing the clip out on different players and a different editor. Yes, it was particularly the panning shot from the books to the painting that was worrying me. The clip was originally on youtube but seems to have elapsed now, at least, I can't find it there. But I'll look out for it again. I'll just have to use a few seconds of what I have.

In November this year it will be the 40th anniversary of the death of the actor John Le Mesurier and the small clip comes from a play by Dennis Potter (called "Traitor") in which John starred and for which he won a BAFTA. I was hoping to use a few seconds of the clip to introduce an article about his life and achievements.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to examine the clip for me.

Best regards,

Bob