Typewriter text not honoring all my installed fonts

Ben Cahan

I have seen similar issues raised with poor answers, so let's see if we can't solve this:

In trying to add some typewriter-style text (the Add Text tool / Typewriter) as an overlay on an image...some fonts work fine but others that I have installed in my system (Windows 11) that are truetype fonts simply do not show up properly, instead using some default font like Arial.

Note that these same fonts DO show up fine if I use the simple text option, the one that has the WYSIWYG text editor, so now it feels very strange and buggy.  The typewriter tool editor just has a simple text entry line, not the fancy editor where I can style the text, and it seems to create a video clip, not an 'image' for the text.

What is going on here?  Why does the typewriter option fail to use the font I have selected?  As mentioned, it does show up fine for some fonts, but not others.  And, of course, the font I want to use is not showing up and displaying properly.  Truth is I like the typed letter look, not just a block of text that scrolls into view, hence my frustration that I can't get it to work reliably.

Not really sure that is the right question to ask, should it not work with any installed truetype font?  Clearly something is going on if most of the usual suspects work, the stuff usually installed, but new creative fonts I want to use as titles crap out.  More strange in that the WYSIWYG text editor in VideoPad works fine for all of them.

Regardless, a few specific fonts that I downloaded and installed on my laptop that are not working (all show up in some default sans-serif font):

Chalktastic

DK Crayon Crumble

Berylium

They all say they are truetype and opentype in the fonts preview window.

I am using VideoPad Pro v13.28, just downloaded it a few weeks ago.  I would include the main window with some text and Beylium chosen from the menu (I have it as an image that shows the plain text), but I cannot figure out how you included an image with your reply, where is the option to upload a picture in this text editor??

Here is a dropbox link to see the picture since I cannot upload it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/expvwxa8755tps2/videopad issue.jpg?dl=0

By the way, did you do two lines of text, each starting at the same time in the timeline so the typed text on each line is fully revealed in the same amount of time?  I say that because in reality that looks terrible, it would be a much better thing if the typewriter text allowed for multi-line one letter at a time so it really looked like someone was typing on the screen.  My website is for screenwriters, and it would be awesome to be able to simulate someone writing a script on the screen in formatte, multi-lines, a letter at a time, to which I would add the sound of keys being hit on a typewriter.

Users can link to images or files, just as you did.

Play the above video again.  Here's how that looks on the timeline (click to enlarge)...

image.png

There are two typewriter overlays - one for each line.  Track 2 holds for the duration;  track one starts where track 2 animation ends.

Try the latest release and see if results are better.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

I am now using 13.40 and the same problem.  I wonder if you would upload the Videopad project file for your test with Chalktastic somewhere I can download it and try your file myself, it must be something with my computer, even though it is quite new and I cannot imagine what is stopping a whole list of fonts from showing up with the typewriter text.  I am curious if your file, on my computer, does not show the font properly or if magically it works.  Remember, it is not just this font, it is a decent percentage of the fonts I have installed, although probably not more than 25-40% (I just tested a few, some were fine others not).

I have rebooted and all that, the fonts all work great in the normal styled text that uses the WYSIWYG editor.  Obviously I can either use fonts that work or some other effect to get the text to slide on or whatever, but it would have been nice to have that typed letter effect with the font I wanted,  Sigh.

Here is a simple project file with just one line of typewriter text in Berylium font that does not work for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b12txx24xq4fe7f/Berylium typerwriter text.vpj?dl=0

The VPJ file alone is of no use.  The above project is attached.  Download, UNzip and double-click the VPJ file to load it.

Please do share your project.   Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Chalktastic.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cvkqaeb3uq2xki/chalktastic not working.png?dl=0

So, your file no better than mine as you can see from that picture, no need to back up and upload my test file at this point.  The fonts are working on your computer but not mine, that's just the fact of the situation, I just wonder what it could be that is blocking it from working for me.  Frustrating, but thus are computers.  Sigh.

Odd indeed.  What are the PC's specs:  CPU/GPU?

Test this.  Go to OPTIONS | ADVANCED and in the GPU section at the bottom click the caret.  In the drop-down menu choose None (CPU Only), or another GPU, if one is shown.

The effect can be created with the text editor, but it's tedious.

I am not really sure what you are asking, it is a Dell laptop with Windows 11 and an Intel i7 processor, 16MB of memory. 

-- UPDATE:  I found it in the Tools menu, and the GPU is an Intel UHD graphics 620.  No change when I select CPU only, must be something else interfering or something about some fonts that is having a conflict.  I even quit VideoPad and ran again after changing selection, no change.

Yeah, I found it, didn't do anything.  Tried all thge settings, my GPU is probably the stock video unit for my fairly inexpensive computer, but since many o the fonts DO work, the fact that some do not is just quite strange.  Not sure what else to try, I don't have a strategy for trying to disable this or that in my computer to see if something is blocking it.

Pretty much out of ideas here.  You might try deleting and reinstalling the non-functioning fonts...

Considering the infinite hardware/software permutations, what's the chance that a particular program will work flawlessly on each and every PC?  Zilch.

Here's an older VP release for testing.  Ignore any virus warnings.