Changing of .dct files

Helen Rolfe

I use the StenoGraph RapidWrite Pro software plus the Stenograft Stentura 400 SRT machine to input text into my Word Document (I use this instead of the computer keyboard). When I loaded ExpressScribe the ExpressScribe software changed the program files of the RapidWrite from for example "PERDIC$.DCT which would be a dictationary file as the type to a file that reads "(ExpressScribe symbol of the recorder)PERDICT$.DCT and it changes it to a file type Express Scribe Dictation File. I have uninstalled the program from my computer and the file type stayed as Express Scribe Dictation File. I need to have this converted to the original file so I can use the dictationary in my other computer. Do you have any suggestions as to why it would have changed this "type" to an Express Scribe Dictation File and how would I convert it back? If I contact Microsoft, what do you think I can ask them specifically to help me convert this back.

• 9 months later...
Guest Grandmaster

I have the same problem, and I even attempted to remove Express Scribe from the registry. Nonetheless, the Express Scribe Dictation File Type persists and has hijacked some of my valuable mp3 files of important school lectures. I have checked the forum for answers, but no one from NCH has addressed the problem. Could it be any coincidence that one may "purchase" technical support for this product that costs-as a minimum-$33? So, for a "free" product that one would wish to remove because it isn't all that great to begin with, I might have to pay someone to fix their inferior product. No thanks. Bad business indeed. <_<

Try opening "my Documents" folder. Go to "tools" "folder options" "file type". Look for "DCT" or what ever you are having problems with. Change the properties of that extension to open with the program you want as the default program.

dg