Many effects not working

robl756

I edit, and use the bandpass filters, Automatic Gain Control, on Audio Books that I buy, and import into MP3 files. Yes, they tend to be large, but, wavepad has NO problem opening them up. Just won't do anything to them once they are open. Well, they will do some things, but not what I want. And, the very few SMALL books I have, and work on, when using things like the Bandpass filter, It takes upwards of 4-5 hrs. to perform this task. That is ridiculous. Can't find out these things during the free trial.

It's a good thing they are located in Australia, and not in Ireland. Or the U.S. even. There, I could, and WOULD go to the company headquarters, and make my displeasure known in a more demonstrative manner.

robl756

I edit, and use the bandpass filters, Automatic Gain Control, on Audio Books that I buy, and import into MP3 files. Yes, they tend to be large, but, wavepad has NO problem opening them up. Just won't do anything to them once they are open. Well, they will do some things, but not what I want. And, the very few SMALL books I have, and work on, when using things like the Bandpass filter, It takes upwards of 4-5 hrs. to perform this task. That is ridiculous. Can't find out these things during the free trial.

It's a good thing they are located in Australia, and not in Ireland. Or the U.S. even. There, I could, and WOULD go to the company headquarters, and make my displeasure known in a more demonstrative manner.

robl756

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP3 files can only be edited in a limited manner, compared with the editing of a .wav file, which is the recommended way to proceed with this task. What you CAN generally do with an MP3 file is to cut it or cut out portions of it, and to alter volume levels. Thus, you can normalize and amplify it, for example. On the other hand, I suspect that most so-called "effects" cannot be applied satisfactorily to an MP3 file, which loses something in the compression process.

Apart from these cutting, chopping, and volume-altering effects, I stick to editing the .wav file before it was converted to an MP3 file. Yes, I know that the original uncompressed file is often unavailable, which presents a problem. Furthermore, although you can convert an MP3 file to a wave file, you cannot retrieve the portion lost during the MP3 compression process. So using WavePad to edit an MP3 file which has been converted to a .wav file will not generally be entirely satisfactory.

In the work that I am doing, I always have the original uncompressed file (.wav or .aiff) which I compress to an MP3 file. If I find something wrong with the MP3 file, I then go back to the original uncompressed file to do any really comprehensive editing.

In short, do not blame WavePad for not being able to use all of the "effects" which you might wish to apply when you "edit" (a generous term!) an MP3 file. Your other points are well taken, however--but this is the nature of the beast :-)