Is the newest version of VideoPad compatible with my old work files?

Light Elf

I have Videopad version 8.42. I understand the newest version is 13.26. I have my computer stacked with different work files I can't really lose, so what I wonder is if version 13.26 is backwards compatible with 8.42? Will I be able to open and work with the files if I upgrade?

If not, how can I keep the old version? I run on Windows 10. Do I only need to copy the folder files in order to run the old version, and still have the new version of my computer? Any other way to bypass this? There must be others with work files they do not want to lose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't delete or move source files.  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.   That's your protection.

You can test the latest Windows release (v13.21) as a trial, then reinstall 8.42 or upgrade.  Projects will be backward compatible.  But those made with 13.21 or other recent versions may not load in 8.42.

Only a single release can be on the PC at any one time.  If you do not have your 8.42 installer, it and all others are available here.  Ignore any virus warnings.

To create a portable project that can be loaded onto any PC that has VP installed, first have the project loaded.  Then click the 3-lined Menu at the top-left.  Click FILE | SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS.  All source files and the VPJ control file will be saved to the drive and folder you choose.

It will be dated/numbered, like this...  image.png   To load the project, simply double-click the VPJ.