Can I import my MP4 file and open it as a project?

MeNovice

I recently created a video project in Videopad, about 20 minutes long, exported it as MP4. All fine. But then I spotted a few errors in the MP4...but can’t find the project on my PC. It has definitely gone. So, is there a way to import the MP4 file into Vidpeoad and bring the project back from it? Or do I have to go through the very long process of recreating the project from scratch? (I’m in UK, 8 hours ahead of California).

Whenever Videopad is closed, after changes have been made, it will prompt to save.  That becomes a VPJ file (not playable).  Search for it on the PC.

If there was a crash, an autosave may be found in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\VideoPad\autosave.vpj

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  That's your protection.

At least one VPJ file should still be on the PC.  Find it and double-click it to reload the project.

The exported mp4 can be loaded into Videopad and further edited, but it will be a single file - no individual clips.

Thanks for this.  Looks like I have to start again.  I already checked all the vpj files, but nothing was late enough in the creation process to have the music, subtitles etc.  I must have deleted the final one by mistake.

So bringing the MP4 back in will not allow me to control subtitles etc?

Probably not.  You can use Windows Explorer to manually click through the file hierarchy.  If there's no autosave.vpj under the VideoPad level, then it doesn't exist.

If it's there, under Videopad it will look something like this...   image.png

No, it's not there.

So I've tried bringing the MP4 file back into Videopad.  It's there on the timeline showing the video and audio tacks. But there is no storyboard view that lets me dig into individual images to alter effects, transitions etc, and there are no subtitles under the subtitles tag. Is there some way to make all the individual images and subtitles show up again, in the way that i first created this in Videopad?

Your mp4 is a single clip, just like any other.  Everything that was exported is embedded, including subs, effects, transitions.

You can edit it just like any other clip, but there's no way to recover the individual clips that created it.  That can be done only via the VPJ project file.

Thanks Borate.  When you say 'You can edit it just like any other clip', I'm not sure what you mean.  Does this mean I can cut up the whole video track into bits, and the audio track too...and in that way could I remove a few individual images? But I don't see how to put any replacement images back in there, as I can't get a storyboard view to work on.

Storyboard will display the individual track 1 clips only.  If you load this mp4 it will be seen as one clip.  Of course, timeline view can also be used.

The mp4 can be split into clips, then manipulated in the same manner as other clips. As it's split, Storyboard will display the individual clips.

For example, here's a fifteen-second mp4...   image.png in Storyboard mode

And here it is after splits have been made...   image.png

Thus, new images might be added at split points or split-off sections could be removed.

Aha! This looks like it might work for me. I'll give it a try.  I think what you are saying is: Once I start to split the MP4 input, then story board will appear and I can play with individual images again. Hope that's right.

But how do I get to the storyboard in the first place to make the splits?  Your post said: For example, here's a fifteen-second mp4...   https://content.invisioncic.com/r33241/monthly_2023_03/image.png.ab44ad9df588872b55b97251e9fafeb7.png in Storyboard mode.

I can't get my MP4 to appear in storyboard mode to begin with.

Import the mp4 with the ADD FILES button on the Home toolbar.  It will land in bin (top-left).

If it isn't automatically placed on the timeline, drag it there.  Or click the ADD button under the preview window and choose one of the PLACE options.

It will then be visible in both Timeline and Storyboard modes and it can be edited just like any other file.  Split, effect, transition to adjacent clips, etc.

Hi Borate. I did what you said. The result was the MP4 video appeared on the timeline. I could expand it and see the clips and subtitles, and the audio track. But  on the storyboard view, I can see the individual clips only in clip preview or sequence preview, not on the storyboard line, and I cannot enter any clip to edit its effects, transitions, etc. Although I can see the subtitles sitting on the clips, they do not show up in the Subtitles tab.  Am I missing some command that would open up the storyboard to allow editing as normal?

Storyboard will display only the clip that is on track 1.  In this case that's your mp4.  No individual clips in either mode, until you split the single mp4 clip, add efx, etc.

There will be no captions list, because all the video and audio is embedded in that single, composited clip.

Just as in the above Storyboard screen grabs, the top is s single mp4.  The second is that clip split into three sections.  Editing would be like any other clip.