Banjoboatman

Anyone with experience importing Band in a Box (BIAB) instrument files into WavePad?  I create my backing tracks in BIAB, and each BIAB file contains 4 or 5 individual instrument tracks (e.g., bass, drums, guitar, piano, etc.).  BIAB can render these tracks into .wav files for each instrument.  With Audacity, it is very simple to drag and drop the individual .wav files into an Audacity project, and then name the individual tracks to identify the instrument.  I can then add a new track to the project (typically a vocal track) and then export the project as an .mp3 file.    I thought I would "step up" to WavePad, but emulating Audacity by importing the individual .wav files is a challenge, especially since I can't find a way to name the individual tracks in WavePad.  Any assistance with this process would be greatly appreciated~! 

Thanks for your clarification.  When I purchased WavePad I thought I would be getting a product similar to Audacity, Reaper, etc., for which there are many comparisons available.  However, I learned subsequently (after purchase) that WavePad is not comparable to Audacity, Reaper, etc., in that is has no inherent mixing compabilities and that you must purchase and additional product, MixPad, in order to get these capabiilties.  Even though there is a MixPad menu option within WavePad, I think it gets you a very limited free version.  In other words, to get a product comparable to Reaper (for $60) or Audacity (free) you have to purchase 2 products, WavePad ($60) and MixPad ($99), unless you happen on one of NCH's sales.  My fault in not looking more closely at the WavePad product description, but do feel I was somewhat misled by the comparisons to Audacity and Reaper.  WavePad is not a comparable product.  At this point, I'm certainly not purchasing MixPad, and likley going back to Audacity.

Thanks again for your prompt comment in response to my question. 

After you have finalized your mix in audacity, I would propose that you 'export audio' to your desired project folder, and use WavePad for final editing such as splitting tracks, fades, etc. I mean, since you have already purchased WavePad, I would encourage you to try using it. There are things that I find easier to do in either program that has my work flow utilizing both.

Excellent suggestion!  Thanks very much for taking the time to share.  

My current plan is to continue to do the initial backing track(s) in BIAB--I've been able to get a good initial mix of instruments out of BIAB, even with its limitations (typically percussion, bass guitar, a couple of guitar variations, and at times piano and steel guitar).  I will then export to Audacity so I can add vocal and instrument tracks (banjo in my case), then to WavePad for final mix.  Although I've been an amateur musician for many years (keyboards and guitar, with banjo added over the past few years), its been on the performance side rather than production.  So this is a new ball game for me!

I do play bluegrass, but am most interested in creating arrangements for vocal+banjo for both folk and some popular tunes (although not all are good canditates for these types of arrangements!).  I call my overall approach "A Different Kind of Banjo"!!  Audiences seem to be intrigued by a solo banjo player who sings and is accompanied at times by a "virtual" band.  

Thanks again for the the very helpful comments and observation!  Very much appreciated!

Lynn