Audio edits on part of a clip

ElGee

I have an audio clip containing music that is about 30 minutes long. I have a second audio clip on a different track that is about 30 seconds long. I want to lower the volume on the music track at the points where the shorter clip (a narrative), starts and ends. When I double click the music track, it opens in the clip preview pane but I cannot tell where to set the points on the blue wave line that corresponds to the smaller audio clip. I need a reference point or some type of marker on the music clip so I can tell where to adjust the waveform.

Place the cursor at the leading edge of the narration.  Use <ctrl-alt-right> or <ctrl-alt-left> for accuracy, or use the buttons under the preview window timeline.

Split the music track.  Do the same at the trailing edge of narration.

Now when the audio track is clicked in the newly split clip, the section that you want to adjust will be highlighted.  If you want to expand that area, click the small icon at the far right that has red and blue brackets.  Drag the blue line to the desired levels.  The expanded waveform, with level dips programmed, will look similar to this...

image.png

Or use the ducker feature to do this automatically.  The adjustments can be found under OPTIONS | AUDIO tab.  Right-click on the music track and click BACKGROUND SOUND to enable the feature.  Takes some practice, but works very well.