I can't switch between versions because it keeps saying I need to close down applications

stebbinsd

Whenever I try to switch between versions, I always get this error message: https://i.postimg.cc/y8qcHmwj/A.png

VideoPad is already closed down. I even checked the task manager, and there are no instances of NCH anything (let alone video pad) active.

I've never gotten this message before. I've always been able to switch between versions without any problem.

How do I fix this?

It is absolutely NOT in task manager.

Also, I just tried rebooting the computer. It didn't solve the problem.

I'm going to try and uninstall the app completely and re-install it from the ground up. If that doesn't work, I'll let you know.

Well, a full uninstall seemed to do the trick. Now, I can finally switch between versions. But now there's a new problem.

It used to be that, if I saved a project in one version and then switched to an earlier version, I couldn't pull up the project because it relied on a later version of the software. However, if I (A) saved in one version, (B) switched to a later version and made some edits, and (C) switched BACK to the version it was originally saved in, I would be able to continue. The only thing I couldn't do is switch to a version that was earlier than the project was originally saved in.

So I've made a habit of starting my projects in the earliest version possible, so as to maximize the number of versions the project is compatible with.

However, since I did the full uninstall, I've worked on a project that was initially saved in version 7.00. I then made some edits in version 7.05, since that was the only version compatible with my license that allows me to use "crop and zoom" when I export so I can get a vertical video for Youtube shorts. I then reverted back to 7.00 to continue my work, but it said that my project wasn't compatible with this version, even though it's always been compatible before. I was forced to finish the project on god-awful v7.05.

Aside from that one feature when I export, I detest v7.05. It introduced a lot of features that are more of a hinderance than a help, including but not limited to ...

• adding "title text" when I pull up a text box (forcing me to delete the box to add my own text, creating a pointless extra step that wouldn't exist if the box was just blank)
  • Whenever I take a snapshot, any transparent sections of the image would be filled with black, instead of transparency.
  • It's generally just all-around less stable and tends to clog up my CPU even when it's sitting idle.

For all of these reasons and more, I generally prefer to only use v7.05 for the "crop and zoom" export feature, and nothing else.

I can't afford to upgrade to a new license (and even if I could, I've noticed that a lot of the latest versions still have that aforementioned "title text" garbage, so I probably wouldn't want to), but up until now, I've never had a need to. Simply switching back and forth between v7.00, v7.03, and occasionally v7.05 in order to make use of each versions' features has served me well.

But if I can't revert to an earlier version within the same project like I used to, that's a problem.

But it shouldn't be a problem. It's never been a problem before.

So do you know how I can fix THIS?!

Generally speaking it's best to export with the same - or a close - version to the one that created the project.

Haven't run into the transparency issue with snapshots, but rarely use 7.x as that series is dated.  (Transparency is retained in latest releases.)

Version 11.48 has no forward compatibility.  If a project is saved in that or a later version, releases earlier than (approximately) 11.38 won't run it.  Backward compatibility is fine as far back as 7.53 in my tests.  Save in 11.38 and 11.48 or later can run it.

It's possible that the same prohibition was instituted in early 7x days and just hasn't been encountered here.  It's puzzling why how it works changed for you.            See my personal message.

No need to first delete "title text."  Swipe (select) it and begin typing (or pasting) new text.