Clearing Videopad caches safely

Limey

I am working on a Mac and I frequently work on three or more projects at a time. This means that I have now produced a very large VideoPad cache. I constantly clear the cache for a project as I work on but when I checked the cache folder in my system I discovered that it is still chock full of caches maybe from previous projects and taking up way too much space on my hard drive. At this point it is 17 GB. Many of the files are used frequently on different projects.

My question is...can I just delete them all and, apart from speeding up the application which would be handy, will I lose any of the files within my projects ?

I regularly save a portable project on an external drive but I am always nervous about deleting anything without being sure I won't screw up my projects.

I suspect everything will be fine but I thought I would make sure before doing anything too hastily.

Thanks

Limey

First caution, of course, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  That's protection for your project.

Saving a portable project is good too.

It's wise to clear the cache prior to working on a new project or reloading one after another has been worked on,  A clean start, though load time will increase to build the cache.

But if you're resuming a single project, and no other has been loaded in the interim, then don't clear the cache between sessions.

Videopad is non-destructive;  it won't affect source files.  Don't move them until you are certain that the project is complete.

Thanks for the speedy reply...Thanks for clarifying the different save options.

Much of the time my projects overlap so many of the audio clips, previous videos and images are being constantly swapped around from one project to another. My source files will always remain intact.

So... can I just dump my bloated cache files and just have the projects load a little more slowly ?

Thank again

Peter

You can do that.  It's good practice to load only the files used in the project.  No sense having VP waste time and resources on those that won't be needed.

An easy way to purge unused clips from the bins is to click one of them and press <ctrl-A> to select them all.  Then check the Do The Same For All box and click the CANCEL button.  Unused files should be gone. (If there's a warning that a clip is being used, then you have not followed the procedure correctly.)

Now you can save the project, preferably with a unique # or name, and the next time it's loaded those files won't be accessed.

And, of course, Clear Unused Cache Files can be run during editing.

Thank you for the quick information you provided, it helped put my mind at rest and they are very useful tips for creating future projects.

I am very satisfied with this very comprehensive program, great value for the money.

Limey