Audio clips in random positions after load (please refer to https://tinyurl.com/44j92enb)

Julia Kot

I made a 30 minutes long video with 50+ different clips. Saved it, loaded it and found out that the audio clips randomised places. Not all but like 80%. Short clips moved into areas of longer clips and created gaps in the timeline, longer clips when into places of shorter clips and over lapped with other audio, on the same track. I don't even how to do that or if it's possible. I think it's a complete glitch as in those areas non of the audio clips played. The video also over lapped in some places but that could have happened when I "closed gap in track." Spent 4 hours puzzling it back and saved it and went to sleep. Next day I opened it praying for it to not happen again. This time one of the video files didn't load it's linked audio. It's just that 1 file, it was cut into ~15 parts, ~13 of them are missing. The video is good, it's just the audio missing. Too late to fix it now as I'll get it fixed before you answer but tell me why this happened and how can I prevent it in future. The only reason I can think of for what could have caused it is me moving the video files in this project into a different folder and I kept the "project file" in the old folder.

Edit: Yeah yeah... I know, I know, "update the version". I'll get on to that when I'm done this video, I don't trust this software, probably won't open after I update it. I'm still on version 11.22

When a project is saved, it will restore exactly as it was.  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

When restoring a saved project, if files are missing it will prompt to find them.  Click on RESOLVE, and locate the file.  Never move or delete files until the project is complete.  You can save a portable project by clicking the Menu (top-left), then FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS.  This will create a folder with all source files and the VPJ control file.

Without seeing the project it's tough to speculate what is occurring.  Do update to the latest, and please share your work.  Follow these steps, one-by-one...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Ok thank you, I won't move the files again. I might do that portable option next time. I didn't get the option to resolve this time though, it just disappeared.

Have I done any unnoticed damage to the files when moving? Like did the quality degrade or will it cause me other problems later on?

Moving the files won't change them.  But if VP didn't request a RESOLVE then it knew where to find them.  So that's not the problem.

DO update the program, reload and see what happens.  If still crazy, please submit the project per the above instructions.

• borate changed the title to Audio clips in random positions after load (please refer to https://tinyurl.com/44j92enb)