VideoPad 10.96 Preview Bug

Clovis Lowell

When editing a recent video of mine, I noticed that a few of my clips on the editor preview were just black screens. Other of my clips were fine, but just a couple of them had this problem. I tried the clips in another editor and they were perfectly fine, so it's not a problem with the clips, it's a problem with the editor. All of the clips are .MOV, by the way. The problem clips are not different formats.

It's been quite some time since anything has been said about it. Any updates on VideoPad 64-bit?

Let's have a look at one or two of those clips.  Someone will check out the problem.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

VP 64-bit versions are available.  Install and see if the black screen issue persists.

What are the PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

Restart VP and before loading the project, under OPTIONS | DISK tab, Clear Unused Cache Files, then reload

Share the project - either here or privately - and we'll get to the bottom of this.

The process is easy.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. I gave up after getting really frustrated at the program and used another editor for the time being as the project needed to be completed.

Now, I'm back on VideoPad, using the latest version, and it's still an issue. Clearing the cache and restarting did absolutely nothing— neither did reinstalling or repairing it. But, I figured out how to replicate it (although sometimes I don't need to do this, it'll just be black for no reason). The bug only happens when I put a BLANK color image (using "add blank" or ctrl+k) and place it on the timeline BEFORE my video clip. That then turns the entire project black and I can only hear the audio. It's not a problem with the preview, either. If I try to export it as is, the entire finished product is black with only audio.

But I can't replicate it with just any video clip. Literally any of my other clips on my PC will work just fine with VideoPad, but the bug ONLY happens when I use videos that I recorded with my camera (Canon 70D DSLR). They're in .MOV format but I was told that VideoPad supports .MOV. Even weirder is any other .MOV on my PC works, just not the ones recorded with my camera.

This is an issue that can't be looked past because I use VideoPad as my editor for my college projects. Not having the editor I've used for years is kind of putting me back a lot. It's not a problem with the SD card because I've tried different ones, it's not a problem with the camera because the clips work just fine in other editing software, and it's not a problem with my PC— again: Other software works fine.

I'd be more than happy to give you my PC specs listed below:

• CPU: AMD R5 5600X
  • GPU: RTX 3070
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4
  • Over 2TB left of storage on three drives, 500GB available on the drive VideoPad's installed on

I attached a Google Drive link to a test clip that I recorded with the camera I use to record all of my videos. The problem persists with this clip, so maybe you can replicate the bug on your end with it. Please get back to me as soon as possible as I really need to know if I can use VideoPad for next semester or if I need to look elsewhere. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cHDdnvjLPPmmM2NAsOJ2adpW2GFhAAkZ/view?usp=sharing