IVM FREEZING

NoviceNerd13

Why is my nch swift sound IVM package freezing when I am in the settings window?

Hi,

I had similar problems here. (IVM on Windows XP)

Do you start IVM as a service? What I found out is, that there are some problems if you run IVM as a service and try to start the IVM at the same time to configure it.

My processor runs with 100% load then and IVM freezes more or less.

So, if I need to change settings in IVM, I simply kill the service, start IVM in the windows session context again, change settings, leave IVM and start the IVM service again.

(For some reason I really have to kill the service, because IVM doesn't allow to stop the service from the windows service control panel.)

I also try to solve that with starting "ivm.exe -show" and "ivm.exe -hide", but that caused the same problems.

Configuring IVM, that it should be shown to users that log-on caused IVM to stop at the same time, I log off from windows. So running it as a service without showing anything to the user, seems to be the option.

regards

:)

Tjareson

Hi,

I had similar problems here. (IVM on Windows XP)

Do you start IVM as a service? What I found out is, that there are some problems if you run IVM as a service and try to start the IVM at the same time to configure it.

My processor runs with 100% load then and IVM freezes more or less.

So, if I need to change settings in IVM, I simply kill the service, start IVM in the windows session context again, change settings, leave IVM and start the IVM service again.

(For some reason I really have to kill the service, because IVM doesn't allow to stop the service from the windows service control panel.)

I also try to solve that with starting "ivm.exe -show" and "ivm.exe -hide", but that caused the same problems.

Configuring IVM, that it should be shown to users that log-on caused IVM to stop at the same time, I log off from windows. So running it as a service without showing anything to the user, seems to be the option.

regards

Tjareson

Just as a general guideline, you can never run a program that has a User Interface as a Service. Service applications have no windows & when the app tries to open a window, the app will freeze at that point. This is true for any app, not just IVM. It's a Windows thing. As long as IVM never shows a window, then technically you can get away w/ it, but as you noticed that you can't shut it down via the Control Panel... that's because IVM is probably prompting you w/ the "Do you want IVM to run in the background" YES|NO|MAYBE prompt, which causes it to freeze.

I think I remember, that when I looked up the IVM-service in the registry, I found that they start the same application (ivm.exe) just with a "-service" option.

May be that suppresses showing an application window, nevertheless you see the splash screen if you start the ivm-service anyway.

Overall it seems, that this combination between service and visible application to configure IVM isn't really stable solved. Unfortunately that leads into the problem, that it is not possible, to change configurations without disrupting the ivm-service. (either killing the ivm-service at first and then restart the application or solving the 100% processor load afterwards by restarting the application...)

regards

Tjareson

Hi,

Thanks for responding, only just checked back though.

Going back to my last restore point seemed to stop it, although I might now have to try and reinstall 5.11 service pack one and wave drivers.

Does anyone know if the external usb 'recording' device they sell here is actually OK to use for IVM, if so I think it could save me alot of bother although I will have 5 spare d4 pci's /pci u's available.

Or if any one wants to correspond me through to whole process ~(of setting up the dialogics to a fully working system) through here or by email i'll be happy to make a suitable payment via paypal or nochex.

Many thanks