Running VP under Wine

London Go Centre

I am using VideoPad under WINE to do some quite complex editing. NCH don't support this, of course, so don't ask them for help.

VideoPad regularly and frequently crashes, and this is annoying just not enough to to get me to learn how to use kdenlive.  I was shown how to use VP about a year ago an, over time, I have learned a bit more. I'm now doing things such as rearranging video and cutting and shifting audio in video.  It all limps along. The only thing I have ever lost is a transition.

I can't work out what the problem is. Perhaps VP has an unrealised dependency on some undocumented feature of Windows.

My advice is to hang on to a version that enables you to actually render videos and develop a workflow that minimises problems with the flakiness. I'm currently using 8.45 on 6.0 RC2.

A new, descriptively titled thread has been started for your good advice to stick with what works - there's no mandate to update.  The latest is here.  Running under WINE is unusual and conceivably a cause of odd behavior.   Current releases or betas can always be tested unlicensed, features evaluated, and quirks discovered.

General tips...

Before beginning a new project click OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.

During editing Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then nothing should ever be lost as back ups of the project will be available.

If creating a multi-track/effect or 2K/4K project, it can be wise to break it into parts, export those parts and merge them later.  The 'collage/virtual choir' sticky at the top of this forum offers many tips.  The object is to keep the processing load as minimal as practical, for quickest response and accurate export.  VP is subject to Windows 32-bit  memory limitations.  In time, a 64-bit version will be along.

• borate changed the title to Running VP under Wine in Windows

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but after a day's editing, I experimented with VP under WINE using Wayland (which is going to get better over time) rather than X (which isn't).  It seems slightly less flaky but expect compositing artefacts (unrelated to using VP) from time to time.

Thank you.  Just a small suggestion delete "in Windows."

• borate changed the title to Running VP under Wine