Modem dissapearing after only hours

Guest Ugoff

I have a "Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5651 WIN2K" modem in a Windows 2000 Server box that will answer calls for seemingly hours, but the next day, it does not pick up the line anymore. There are no errors in the log and the software appears to be running still. A look into the Devices tab in the settings shows no modem is present. It has "Line 1 []" instead of the "Line 1 [Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5651 WIN]" (gets cut off.) Clicking Properties for the normally named modem will show other devices like the H323 Line, IPCONF Line, and a few others. Those same properties for the nameless modem listing shows nothing. Completely closing the program and reopening it will allow the modem to answer calls again. The modem does not dissapear from the Device Manager.

Any ideas?

I have a "Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5651 WIN2K" modem in a Windows 2000 Server box that will answer calls for seemingly hours, but the next day, it does not pick up the line anymore. There are no errors in the log and the software appears to be running still. A look into the Devices tab in the settings shows no modem is present. It has "Line 1 []" instead of the "Line 1 [Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5651 WIN]" (gets cut off.) Clicking Properties for the normally named modem will show other devices like the H323 Line, IPCONF Line, and a few others. Those same properties for the nameless modem listing shows nothing. Completely closing the program and reopening it will allow the modem to answer calls again. The modem does not dissapear from the Device Manager.

Any ideas?

This happens to me sometimes when I turn on or off USB devices which may have modem drivers for the device.

For example I have a printer which also acts like a modem named "Brother MFC-8840D USB" and also a USB device "Bluetooth Modem".

If these devices are not present - sometimes the modem device list gets re-enumerated and the Creative Modem Blaster . . . is in the wrong spot.

I think it may be confusing IVM when it starts.

Just a thought.

Chris