How to mix landscape and portrait modes in a single video

tomroadjunky

In one of my videos I have inserted a recorded Skype call - which is in portrait while the rest of the video is in landscape. The default is for the portrait clip to get stretched which looks terrible.
So I clicked on video effects for the clip and chose crop to aspect ratio and selected 9:16 and the clip looked how i wanted - in portrait mode with the static on both sides.
But as soon as i close the effects box it previews as stretched in landscape mode again...
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Tom

• borate changed the title to How to mix landscape and portrait modes in a single video

What version of Videopad is being used?

For your Skype video, try adding the Aspect Ratio Letterbox effect.  image.png  In the drop-down box, choose 9:16.

If that doesn't do the job, please post a link to the project.  Someone will check it out.  This is easy, quick and can be private.  Just follow these steps...

• With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  • Locate the saved, numbered folder, NOT the exported or VPJ file.  Upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
  •  Get a shared, public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Then click COPY LINK | DONE.
  •  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum and privately message it to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks for the reply.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GdqC-trBYsNrPc7KNWOQINuzZrc9zzZn/view?usp=sharing

I tried doing what you said and exported a low quality version just to check and I seemed to have changed several of the clips somehow. But still the Skype video isn't in portrait...it begins at 01.35

And it's in the 'conspiracy' sequence..

We'll take a look.  But you must upload the back-up FOLDER, as instructed above, not simply the VPJ file.  That folder will contain all source material + the VPJ.

Be sure to make it "anyone with link can view."   What version of Videopad is being used?