Performance issue at end of sequence

Tony7671

I'm having a lot of problems with performance at the end of the sequence. The context is that I'm editing a religious service which is usually about 20-25 minutes long. All I want to do is add a title card and the beginning, cross-fading into the video, and then a crossfade into an end title. No problem with the start title - software is responsive, and I can preview the video clip to trim it appropriately, and check the crossfade is in the right place. 

The problem is when I go to the end of the video clip and try to add a closing title card. The user interface becomes unresponsive, and during previewing it does start after a prolonged pause after clicking "play", but often only the audio and sometimes some jumpy video - certainly not enough to check I have the transition to the closing title card correct. I occasionally see "Building preview. Please wait". I do wait - sometimes tens of minutes to see if it can catch up with itself, but it often doesn't seem to. In fact, for the video I edited this evening, it's been open in the editor for a couple of hours, and for the preview near the end, the audio and video are now out of sync. For the exported video, where I managed to have a reasonable guess as how to trim the main video clip, it is absolutely fine.

I read the remarks about having a sufficiently powerful machine. I'm editing on a Lenovo Yoga 710 with a 2.5Ghz Intel i7-6500U and an SSD drive. I'm quite patient - while I recognise this isn't the fastest machine possible, I would be quite happy to wait for a couple of minutes for it to build a preview cache, but I seems like a couple of hours isn't enough to get something that will give a smooth preview of the output. I can usually achieve the result I want, but it involves a lot of guesswork since I can't fully watch what I've set up before exporting it.

Is there anything I can do, short of buying a top-end machine, to improve things?

Thanks,

Tony

What version of Videopad is being used?  What resolution are the source files?

THE very best way to see what you see is for you to share your project.  Preview should never take hours, especially when adding a simple end slide.

Sharing is a straightforward 4-step process, takes little time, and can be submitted privately.  Do not upload the export, just follow these instructions...

1. With your project on the timeline, click the 3-lined 'hamburger' menu, top-left.  Click FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Specify a folder.  Click SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Using the PC file manager, go to where the numbered folder was saved and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
3.  Get a shared, public, non-restricted link.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.