VideoPad 8.45 cuts off the top and bottom of video

Nick V

Hi everyone,

I previously used the free version of VideoPad 6.00 and 6.22, but recently upgraded to 8.45 (Master's Edition).

8.45 has a really annoying issue that didn't manifest in the earlier versions. I'll explain as best I can:

1. The video I'm trying to produce uses four video clips. Three of these are 1280x720 (16:9). One is 1920x916 (480:229).
  2. I'm also using *.PNG screen captures taken from the latter video. These are also sized at 1920x916.
  3. My chosen output aspect ratio is 16:9.
  4. The raw 16:9 media display correctly in the editing interface, and in the final video.
  5. In the Clip Preview view and in the final video, VideoPad 'stretches' the raw 480:229 media vertically to fit the screen. It does this in a way that cuts sections from the top and bottom of the media. The upshot is video that fits the screen - but has a vertically stretched appearance, and has upper and lower sections that have been 'amputated'.

I think 6.22 has some kind of 'auto fit' function that, on 8.45, is either malfunctioning or has been disabled.

The Clip Preview view in 8.45 has aspect ratio controls that 6.22 didn't have - but no matter what I do with them, I can't stop the upper and lower sections of my video being 'amputated'.

In 8.45, the 'Export Video' dialogue also has new fit-to-screen controls. Changing these settings does not have the desired effect, either.

I really want the 'auto fit' functionality back. Having to pre-edit my 480:229 footage to 16:9 is painful.

Can anyone help?

Functionality has been improved since the 6x series, but the architecture works a bit differently.

While previewing a clip, right-click the preview screen and set Widescreen A/R Fit to Letterbox.

On the cut-off clips, open effects and try applying one of the three choices in the Aspect Ratio Transforms section.  Letterbox is the likely choice.

In export leave the A/R settings as suggested.

If this does not achieve the desired result, share the project and someone will come up with a solution.  It's easy, takes but minutes and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable link to post.

Hi Borate! Thanks for your help. :)

I tried all the suggestions above, but for some reason, all the relevant controls were greyed out.

:DHowever, I did manage to solve the problem!

To avoid the 'top-and-bottom-cutoff' for video clips:

1. 'Video Files' tab (upper left corner of UI).
  2. Right-click the offending video clip.
  3. Hover over 'Change Clip Aspect Ratio'.
  4. Hover over 'Crop Centre'.
  5. Click '16:9'.

To avoid the 'top-and-bottom-cutoff' for images:

1. 'Images tab' (upper left corner of UI).
  2. Right-click the offending image.
  3. Hover over 'Change Clip Aspect Ratio'.
  4. Hover over 'Crop Centre'.
  5. Click '16:9'.

• borate changed the title to VideoPad 8.45 cuts off the top and bottom of video