Running out of space after multiple projects

Geekvolution3

So, I was using videopad yesterday (April 17th) to merge parts of audiobooks I downloaded from YouTube, so that the entire book was one part. While combining these files, I separated the audio from the video (which was just a still picture), deleted the video, then lowered the video quality size as far as I could rationally go, along with making sure I was using the same frame rates as the original files.

After combining 8 books or so, I noticed I only had about 10 gigs of space left on computer, when earlier that day I had like 62, and rationally the added effect of the combined files should have only taken like 12 additional gigs of space at most AFTER I deleted the original files.

I read online that I should empty the cache of videopad's temporary files, which I did this morning (April 18th). This left me with just over 50gigs of space, which was close to my estimate as to where I should have been.

THEN, I decided to combine another book that was bigger/longer than the other ones. I did all the same steps, and emptied the cache of temporary files afterward. BUT, suddenly I'm down to 15gigs of free space again.

So now I'm really confused as I'm losing space because of temporary files (yes I checked the storage distribution on my computer) but this time the cache didn't seem to have those files.

I've set my computer to delete temporary files that I'm not using within a day, and I've done my best to clear any programs I'm not using, but I still have way bigger temporary files, than I should rationally have...

You say that you deleted the video, but then lowered the video quality.  Once video was gone, what was there to lower?  Perhaps you were referring to export settings?

If audio is your only concern, a better option is to use WavePad instead.  When an A/V file is loaded it will prompt.  Electing to continue with WP effectively strips away the video.

image.png

Videopad can cache to other than the C:\ drive.  That setting is made under OPTIONS | DISK tab, the same screen where cache files are cleared.  You might try directing the cache to an external or secondary drive that has more space.  In the future, when the video cache folder is specified, the audio cache will follow, as a subfolder.

You're correct, Videopad was caching into TWO different areas. I installed something called WinDirStat that allowed me to easily find and delete the 2nd cache. Actually managed to get 20 more gigabytes than I was expecting by emptying it.

And I apologize for my confusing terminology. I did mean the export settings, were I'd drop it to less than 240p.

• borate changed the title to Running out of space after multiple projects