Videopad keeps soft-locking when I play the timeline

stebbinsd

I'm currently using Version 7.03. My six months worth of upgrades have long since expired, so I can't upgrade again without paying more money than I can afford to pay right now.

However, this is a problem that has only recently started to occur, and I've been on Version 7.03 for a long time now. So I hope you can still assist me.

Whenever I insert audio into a sequence and then attempt to play that audio, VideoPad will sometimes soft-lock. What that means is that I will hear the audio play. However, the red marker in the timeline never moves, the triangle icon beneath the preview window never switches to a double bar/pause icon, and the software stops responding to literally input I give it. It doesn't even highlight a file when I hover my mouse over it, let alone do anything when I click on it. The sequence audio will still play (which is why I call it a soft lock instead of a hard lock), but can't stop it from playing. When I reach the end of the sequence, the audio will stop, but the software still doesn't respond to anything.

The only way I have found to get out of this softlock is to go into my task manager and end the process. The process isn't even listed as "not responding" in the task manger.

For what it's worth, I originally used VideoPad on Windows 7, but kept the v7.03 installation executable and used it after I upgraded to Windows 10, and then used my existing license key for that. However, I've already told this software to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and I didn't notice any improvement.

I even tried reinstalling the app from my control panel. That doesn't seem to have done anything.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this, and how I can get out of it?

What is the project length, the resolution and format of the source files?  Are there numerous effects?  Several things to try...

Save the project, then Clear Unused Cache Files, under OPTIONS|DISK menu and reload the project.

Confirm on that menu page that the Cache Folder location points to a drive (usually C:\) that has ample free space.

Under the EDITING tab, toggle the Hardware Acceleration item to the other state, to see if there is an improvement.

Are the PC's video driver and Direct-X current?

AMD / ATI users: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Intel users: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx
nVidia users: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Update DirectX: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

Your Videopad version was released in late February, so your registration key may be good for this version.  Worth a test.

You might also try the latest, unregistered edition, which should be fully featured for a trial period, though there may not be full backward compatibility.

48 minutes ago, borate said:

What is the project length

I don't know what that means. The final version of the video is estimated to be in the ballpark of 40 minutes.

the resolution and format of the source files?

The highest resolution source file is a 1920x1080, 60fps video in MP4 format.

Save the project, then Clear Unused Cache Files, under OPTIONS|DISK menu and reload the project.

Oh, I already tried clearing the cache. it said there were no cache files to clear.

Confirm on that menu page that the Cache Folder location points to a drive (usually C:\) that has ample free space.

I already have it set up to warn me if it drops below 1,000MB. I haven't gotten such a message yet.

Your Videopad version was released in late February

No, my current version is the one I use because it was the last one to come out before my 6-month period was over. The first version I had under this license key was 6.32.

My current version is the one I use because it was the last one to come out before my 6-month period was over.

Makes sense.  If the issue persists give the latest unlicensed version a try.

Another thought is to break the project into several parts - perhaps ten minutes each - so there is less overload.  Export each, then combine the exported files into VP for the final edit.

There's also the Proxy method to consider, which can make large files/projects easier to handle.

2 minutes ago, borate said:

Another thought is to break the project into several parts - perhaps ten minutes each - so there is less overload.  Export each, then combine the exported files into VP for the final edit.

I've already long since adopted the practice of doing that. I break the entire project into sequences. Then I use the "export all sequences" feature to export all of them before dropping each of those sequences into one clip.

So as you may have guessed, that isn't helping right now.

I've already long since adopted the practice of doing that. I break the entire project into sequences...

That's not the same as exporting each sequence (which becomes a single file containing all clips), clearing all files and cache, then starting fresh with the next sequence.  In that manner only the current segment is in play, which should considerably lessen the load.  As you know, video editing is resource intensive.

When all have been exported - perhaps under Mp4 format - bring them back in and assemble the final.

I just started an entirely new project with new files, and this was after I updated the Nvidia drivers. I'm having the same problem as before.

I shouldn't have to upgrade Video Pad itself, because i wasn't having this problem until very recently. I just want to get my performance back to the way it was before.

So do you have any other ideas that don't involve upgrading?

Let's take a look at your new project, to see if folks here can replicate your issue.  Upload and share;  it's not difficult.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.