problems with sony plugin in windows 2000

Hi there. I have been trying to test out switch to see if it will provide what i need. I regularly receive MSV files and would like to try automating conversion of these files to WAV using switch. I tried installing switch then the Sony Plugin and tried to convert a MSV file but switch keeps saying that the Sony codec is not installed. I did install the Sony Plugin and tried playing the MSV file in Windows Media Player 9.0 and the file played fine. I am using Windows 2000 5.00.2195 (Service Pack 4) by the way. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks.

jonas

• 2 months later...

I just want to confirm that this is a problem. I too had the same problem. MSV files play in WMP after loading the PPI_129.exe from Sony, but SWITCH fails to detect it; the EXPRESS SCRIBE software likewise.

Now if I could only work out how to get WMP to save the played MSV file as WAV or something, I'd be alright.

WMP uses a different sound rendering method to produce the audio (DirectSound), we rely on the standard Windows drivers (MME/WDM) to render sound. It's possible in this instance that DirectSound is doing something extra to convert the file into a playable format, and the standard sound drivers are possibly not capable of doing the same thing.

to confirm is this "theory" is true or false, if anyone wants to give us a sample file that doesnt work, you can send it to me