Apostrophes come out as weird symbols in metadata

Miggy

I tried to send this to tech support, but it said I had to buy the program first before I could send the message. No, if you fix this issue, then I will buy it. I hope someone will see this post, whether tech support or another user, that can help me. Here is the message I was trying to send:

ExpressRip is exactly what I was needing and I was ready to buy. But then I ripped a CD that has apostrophe's (') in the album title and in one of the songs. The apostrophe comes out as a weird symbol (it's small, so can't really see it, but maybe a hex code?) in the metadata. Do you know of any possible fix for this?

I can't recall noticing this issue before myself, not that I rip many cds these days. I'm going to do some experimenting.

But, just saying,  metadata is pretty easy to alter.....

edit to add: ok, I just ripped a cd which has apostrophe's in a couple of song titles and they came out fine. Not sure why you are having an issue.

I am using an older, purchased version of ExpressRip on a windows 7 machine. (version 1.81)

vapors,

Thanks for the reply and doing some testing. Much appreciated.

As far as easily editing the metadata, I'm assuming you mean through another program, as I don't think Express Rip will edit sound files already on your computer. Do you have a good one to recommend if that's the route I need to take? The program I've been using for years (Tag&Rename) suddenly quit working last week. The tags show up properly on my computer when looking at the music files, but show up as "Unknown artist", etc when I play it on my car system. I reinstalled it and then installed a previous version, but still the same.

Now, as far as version 1.81 working for you, do you know if there's any way I can download that version and give it a try?

In the meantime, I'm still looking for another CD ripper program and / or tagging program that will work for me, but the problem is I need one that has an entry field for genre, instead of the drop down box. I need to enter in my own text, as I use that field for putting the year of release instead of genre (which is pretty much useless information for my collection). That's the reason I really liked Express Rip because this solved my issue with the genre field, until I noticed the apostrophes.

Thanks, Vapors. Windows Media Player will actually rip CDs and add the metatags, but it does this automatically without even any chance at putting in a custom genre tag. So maybe ripping with that and editing it with another program will accomplish what I need.

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2018 at 12:37 PM, Miggy said:

I tried to send this to tech support, but it said I had to buy the program first before I could send the message. No, if you fix this issue, then I will buy it. I hope someone will see this post, whether tech support or another user, that can help me. Here is the message I was trying to send: 

ExpressRip is exactly what I was needing and I was ready to buy. But then I ripped a CD that has apostrophe's (') in the album title and in one of the songs. The apostrophe comes out as a weird symbol (it's small, so can't really see it, but maybe a hex code?) in the metadata. Do you know of any possible fix for this?

https://ovo.fyi/chaturbate/  https://ovo.fyi/xnxx/  https://ovo.fyi/tubegalore/

edit to add: ok, I just ripped a cd which has apostrophe's in a couple of song titles and they came out fine. Not sure why you are having an issue.