Video Size

Ramachandran.P.V

I have been using the free versions of Videopad  for the past 4 years. Now I have downloaded the 5.1 version. Now my problems are,

1. The size of a good quality commercial movie of about 1hour and 30 minutes is approximately 700MB. But  A 29 minute home video occupies 1.25GB size. When the video size is reduced by the apps available in the net, the quality suffers. How to reduce the size of the video on par with commercial movie videos without loss of quality ?

2. Initially the rendering time of videos was very less. Now the 29 minute video takes about 4 hours (MP4) and about an hour (avi). I use a Pentium dual core, 4gb RAM system., Video camera is Azus 12MP mobile. 

6 hours ago, Ramachandran.P.V said:

1. The size of a good quality commercial movie of about 1hour and 30 minutes is approximately 700MB. But  A 29 minute home video occupies 1.25GB size. When the video size is reduced by the apps available in the net, the quality suffers. How to reduce the size of the video on par with commercial movie videos without loss of quality ?

Video compression are lossy. To trade off between quality and size you can adjust the codec options. The codec options can be found by clicking on "Encoder Options" in the export video dialog. There are different options for different codecs.

6 hours ago, Ramachandran.P.V said:

2. Initially the rendering time of videos was very less. Now the 29 minute video takes about 4 hours (MP4) and about an hour (avi). I use a Pentium dual core, 4gb RAM system., Video camera is Azus 12MP mobile. 

We up raised codec output quality recently so it will take longer to encode. You can also speed it up by lower the output quality in codec options.

10 hours ago, c_major said:

Video compression are lossy. To trade off between quality and size you can adjust the codec options. The codec options can be found by clicking on "Encoder Options" in the export video dialog. There are different options for different codecs.

We up raised codec output quality recently so it will take longer to encode. You can also speed it up by lower the output quality in codec options.

Does this apply when generating a video in non H.264 mode, as I generate in .mp4 at 8192bps (mainly because it is much quicker and the end result is "good enough" for YouTube)? In other words, if I generate at a "lower quality" of, say, 6000bps now, will the quality be as good as the old (pre 4.58) 8192bps?

Just to clarify, "up raised codec output quality" actually means we've changed to use higher quality codec settings by default. There is no change in the codecs. With the same settings codecs still output to the same quality.

Codec settings are available to all codecs. But different codec use different settings though.