Rotating 90 degrees but crop doesn't seem to work

nathan-elke

Hi. I've a video clip from a phone that comes out horizontal. I can rotate the image 90 degrees, but then I have a portrait image in a landscape frame with black bars on the sides. According to the documentation, Crop should be able to remove this, but it doesn't work; the cropped image is >still< a portrait image in a landscape frame. Is it at all possible to rotate the video and have it as >just< the portrait video in a portrait frame?

Hi

If your image is poitrait format then VP will not distort (stretch) it to fit the standard 16:9 landscape format. It will fit it into the frame height leaving black bars on each side.

To remove these and make the image fit the frame you can use CROP but forcing the 16:9 format. In version 3.47 click the 16:9 option and then use the X1 or Y1 sliders to reduce the rectangle seen in the preview. You can drag this rectangle around also with the mouse until it frames the part of the image that you wish to retain.It will then be full frame 16:9

Unless you distort the image (using SCALE) you will always lose some part of it at top and bottom.

The VP frame will always be 16:9 so any portrait image will have the black sidebars.

Nat