Poor Image Quality in Preview Mode? Will The Finished Product Be As Bad?

Jenifer Young

Hi there,

I downloaded Version 3.10 of Videopad a few days ago and have started the beginning phases of a slideshow (I now realize I really should have purchased the Slideshow maker, but VideoPad allows you to use still images as well (which should also be less of a memory/space hog?), so I kept with it). My computer system is a Toshiba running Windows 7, 8 gb RAM, 64 bit operating system and the images I've imported are high resolution images that I've edited in Photoshop.

When I "Preview" the slideshow, the images are EXTREMELY poor quality, low-res images and I'm hoping that's only due to the fact I'm in "Preview" mode? Can someone please confirm the images in the finished product won't be this bad? And, is there a way I can check this for myself without losing what I've done so far in my project (which has been saved)? I doubt this software functions this way, but my concern is I can't go back to my project to finish it, once I've finalized it to a live project for final viewing?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi

VP makes great slideshows. If possible always use the best quality images. Don't compress them to jpgs if you can help it. The preview screens are low res and are just for previewing your work. The bigger preview screen is same, just bigger. The rendered result however is OK and should be similar to your raw images if you save with the correct settings.

If you want to see a typical result then save your project as you have it at the moment. (vpj file)

Open a new project from the file menu which will clear the sequence and media list and then load a couple of your images. Add a transition (say, crossfade) between them and then save the result as a movie to your PC. Pick one of the HD settings. Minimise VP when it has rendered and then play the result of your test. That should give you an idea of what your images will look like as a movie. You can re-open VP and save a second test with different settings if you want. When the result is as you want, note the settings you used.You can reload your original project with no problems afterwards. Saving as a DVD via VP will give similar results.

Nat