Keeping the quality

Johny1

Hi! I did cut quite a long "movie" into 30 second clip, added effects, the only one working transition-fade, etc... Nevertheless when I clicked export to avi file, setting 1080 HD resolution, Mpoeg Coder, and 25 Frame Rate then this clip has lost significant quality value(I mean there is much more pixelating) in comparison to the whole movie(imported from camera) from which this 30 seconds clip has been made. I did notice that there are some differences in terms of settings between movie and clip and I did export once again this time altering everything into the "movie settings(that is 720-576 resolution, average bitrate and maximum bitrate into 30.000 from previous 8.000, etc) and despite that there is still such discrepancy in between those two mentioned. Could you possibly suggest any way to improve it(taking into account that I am totally inexperienced in the issue) such a state? ps. Not mentioning that in the movie in spite of having only 720-576 resolution i can expand it to the wide screen whereas in the clip when i set 720-576 resolution when i try to expand to wide screen it is not possible to do so as fully as in terms of movie. Thank you

Hi

What was the format of the original "Movie" please from which you took the 30 second clip? (That is type of file and frame size e.g. MPEG4 Full HD 1080 ; 1920 x 1080 ; 1280 x 720 etc.)

From your post it seems the original was 720 x 576 pixels. If you "expand " this up to 1080 which you seem to have done at first then the result would be more granular than the original since you can't change the original resolution and you are making it larger. Also the aspect ratio of the original would be 1:1.25 (720/576) and as this is less than the VP screen which is 1:1.77. you will not fill the screen from side to side with your format (even your original) without cropping your clip to 16:9 and losing a portion of the top and bottom.

It's probably best to export using the same values as the original if possible in this particularcase it would also be considerably faster.to render than selecting 1080.

Have a look at the post entitle "Problem with creating a video" and try the settings I have suggested there for rendering an .avi and see what you get. On many occasions I have copied VHS video (analogue to digital) at 720 x 576 pixels and got reasonable results using the HD720 setting. As I said, you won't get full frame if your clips are 720 x 576 pixels. If you want that then you will have to crop your clips beforehand.

Best of luck

Nat

Hi Nat! The propeties of the "movie" are as follows: 1. avi file type, 2. 720X576 pixels 3. maximum bit rate: 30434, minimum bitrate 28807 4. 25.00 frame rate, at first I indeed did set 1920X1280 when crating my clip, but then I sturggled to put the abovementioned values into export spaces, and despite that, there is still distinctive difference between my clip and the "movie".

Also the aspect ratio of the original would be 1:1.25 (720/576) and as this is less than the VP screen which is 1:1.77. you will not fill the screen from side to side with your format (even your original) without cropping your clip to 16:9 and losing a portion of the top and bottom.

Argument accepted :) What is weird however is that when opening the "movie" i can actually expand it to full screen in spite of 720X576 pixels- what is not plausible as regards clip though the latter has now the same chracteristic- that is 720X 576

On many occasions I have copied VHS video (analogue to digital) at 720 x 576 pixels and got reasonable results using the HD720 setting.

I am not sure If I understand you well, but as far as I am concerned If I insert HD 720 setting the resolution changes automatically into 720X1020 or sth and consequently I was not able to set HD 720 and 720x576 at the same time.

Have a look at the post entitle "Problem with creating a video"

I had read Your article beforhand and apllied mpeg(native) coder, and other issues you did propose and it although it helped but not to the extent I would desire to(that is of my clip to reach the quality of the movie from which it has been made)

The movie was converted into avi from cassete recoridng on camera, and then cutted by e into 30s clip- I believe it does have no relevance but I mention it just in case.

To sum up- Mimicing the movie properties in my clip and changing coder into mpeg(native) does a lot of good but I would be perfect if it were any way to lift the level of my clip into that represented by movie. If you had any other suggestions I would be pleased, if there is nothing reasonable that could be done- thanks for your kind assistance

Regards

Hi

"What is weird however is that when opening the "movie" i can actually expand it to full screen in spite of 720X576 pixels- what is not plausible as regards clip though the latter has now the same chracteristic- that is 720X 576"

Even though the player may show it full screen, your movie is 720 x 576 with an aspect ratio of 1.25. If you do see it full screen it may be that your player either "stretches" the image to fit your screen from side to side. (I am assuming your screen is similar to mine with AR = 1.5 or that you have a wide screen 16:9)

Alternatively you may see full screen if the player enlarges it slightly and then truncates the top and bottom to make it fit.

These are the only ways your IMAGE will assume the same SHAPE as your screen. It will fit an old TV monitor though which is 1:2.5 :)

In any event VP will not alter the AR of your film image, If the original is AR 1.25 then the output is AR 1.25.

"I am not sure If I understand you well, but as far as I am concerned If I insert HD 720 setting the resolution changes automatically into 720X1020 or sth and consequently I was not able to set HD 720 and 720x576 at the same time."

That is correct...but the shape (AR) of the image will not alter.

The pixel values you enter when setting up the .avi refer to the the frame shape and size. Your image will be fitted into this by enlarging it or shrinking it.

If you set pixel values larger than the resolution of your film, then your film is expanded to fit (and thus will lose some clarity-not much if the values are close) but if the AR you choose doesn't match your film then you will have borders either to the left and right or top and bottom within the screen shape.

If you select HD720, this means a frame size of 1280 x 720 pixels. (1.77) Your image is 720 x 576 (1.25) and when fitted by enlarging it leaves a black border to each side. The image will remain the same shape; VP will not stretch the image out. (But you can crop your clips to 16:9 and have a full screen image at the expense of losing parts of the top/botton of the image.

I mentioned HD 720 as I find this resolution OK for VHS tape analogue to digital copies which have an AR and resolution the same as yours.

If you choose to set a custom resolution of 720x576 (there are no presets that exactly match this) then you will have a full frame image, although when shown on a TV (not an old type) or on your PC you will still have side borders since these screens are not the same shape. Your image will always be AR 1.25 unless you crop it to somthing different in VP.

"The movie was converted into avi from cassete recoridng on camera,"

If it was a standard VHS analogue cassette "grabbed" and converted to a digital copy then that may explain why the quality may be not as good as the original, and the AR. Super VHS or Hi8 come out better but I have never managed to get a copy that matched the original and I have converted hours of tape (and film).

If you feel the quality is not good enough however It is possible to enhance your clip using a virtualdub sharpen filter, one of many filters (.vdf files) that can be incorporated into VP.

Nat