problem withcreating a video

pokey23

I have purchased the video pad pro. and have created several home movie videos in the 60 to 90 min. length with out any problems. I now have issues trying to create another video with an 83 min length. When I preview the video in the program it runs without any problems. So I click on the export video button and wait 6 to 8 hours. When it is finished I playback with windows media player. It plays fine until it reaches 20.58 min and then stops. Now I have had this happen to 8 trys. I'm done wasteing DVD disks. Can someone help me fix this issue? Thank You Larry

My PC is an hp compac with a 74.53gb hard disk and 2 gb of mem. The hard disk is 60% free space. Operating sys. is Win xp pro sp3 my processor is a AMD 64 athlon x2

Hi

Routinely I save my project regularly as a .vpj file and when editing is completed I save to my PC as an avi file. (This step takes the time as you have seen). I never use .wmv format BTW.

To avoid wasting DVD discs if you encounter problems it's a good idea to use a DVD-RW disc as if it cocks up you haven't wasted anything except your time and the disc can be wiped and re-used. In general I test all my videos on a rewritable disc first. Once you have your project saved in .avi format re-rendering is not required and saving it to DVD is fairly quick by comparison.

When satisfied that the .avi runs Ok (I use the free VLC player,) I create my DVD (using the .avi) with another free program DVDStyler. Unlike VP's "Create DVD" option DVDStyler enables the user to create fully customisable menus. The completed DVD plays OK.

The settings and steps I use to create the .avi are as follows...

Once you have your edited clips finished on the sequence line, save your project. This creates a .vpj file.

Click Save Movie on the taskbar

Select Computer/Data

Enter destination for the resulting rendered video.

Preset......Click down arrow and choose HD 720 If you have used the larger format select HD 1080 (The default is Custom)

File format .avi This is a common container and will open and play in most programs. But if you are creating a DVD, the DVD creating program you use for this will convert it into another format anyway. (VIDEO VOB, BUP etc.) This file, once created (and working) can be used over and over again for further DVDs

Resolution Use 1280 x 720 HD 720p

Framerate Set this to 25 (TV PAL) or 29.97 (TV NTSC) depending on your TV system

The top box will have reverted back to "Custom" but you can ignore it.

Now click the button below the boxes marked "Encoder Options"

For Video compressor select the MPEG4 (Native) option from the down arrow drop down menu.

Ignore the Video compressor settings button. (Should be 4096 for the bitrate and 8192 for the maximum bitrate as defaults)

Note that if you select H246 then you can use a slider to alter the video compressor settings and although changing the default can produce a slightly better image the time for rendering may become exceptionally long.

For the Sound compressor option select MP3 (Native)

and Sound format to 44100 Hz at 128 Kbs Stereo

Click OK

Click OK

Depending on the length of your film, rendering may take a while.

As mentioned above, although you can save your work straight to a DVD with VP it doesn't allow the creation of a menu or an interim saved rendered file in case of problems and you can only save one project per DVD so I prefer to use a free third party program such as DVD Styler.

Using the above steps I have always had a usable DVD.

and..

Providing I haven't deleted or moved the files used in the project I can re-enable it using the .vpj file (even if the cache has been emptied) and re-edit if required. The saved .avi can be re-used repeatedly on further DVDs along with others films made the same way and also , of course, be stored long-term on a data CD.

Hope this helps

Nat

Hi Larry

"How do I save my .vpj file with videopad program? It will only save as a .vpj file to my pc!? "

The .vpj file IS saved to your PC (see my P.S.) Nevertheless just to explain........

After you have opened VP and added video clips or images to the timeline you are in the process of creating (or editing) a video. This your PROJECT.

As you work with your project, adding further clips, sounds etc., VP creates a file in the background which contains details of these clips, whether they are images, videos or audio; their sizes; thumbnails etc., as well as details of all the manipulations that you have done.with them such as splits and transitions. This called the CACHE file. However this is simply a data file and it can get get quite large as it may also contain the details of other projects you may have worked on.

When you close VP at the end of an editing session, the data usually stays in the cache (but you can set VP to delete it - but we won't go into that :unsure: )

Now, when you reopen VP, the program can't recreate your previous work from these data directly, it requires another file of information to do this. This is your PROJECT FILE. and it is up to you to create and save this before you close VP down, and generally it is a good idea to do this on a regular basis.

To create your PROJECT FILE you simply click the Taskbar "File" option at the top left of your screen. (or if you have VP version 3.02, the green tab below it labelled "File")

On the contextual menu that drops down select "Save Project File as". Enter a name and then browse to the folder where you want to save it and then click "Save"

Your project file will be saved as a .vpj file with your chosen name in your selected folder.

It will have an icon depicting a film frame containing a yellow star. THIS is the file that VP uses to reconstruct your work.

The .vpj file contains not only the details of the clips etc. used in your project (as found in the cache) but also their addresses on your PC. In the event that you deleted the cache in error, your work will still load from the data held in the .vpj file, but it will simply take longer as in this case, the cache files would have to be rebuilt.

Double clicking the project file icon will open VP and reload your work at exactly at the point where you saved it.

Alternatively you can open VP first and then select "Open a project" from the menu options mentioned above and then choose it from the folder you saved it in.

You can easily save your project regularly as you work by selecting the "Save Project File" option. TYhis overwrites the old one using the same name.

If you want to save your project with a new name (keeping the old one to go back to) use "Save Project File as" and enter a new name.

Provided you have not moved or deleted any of your clips etc, VP will reload your project from the .vpj file.

Hope this helps.

Nat

PS. If you are getting mixed up between saving your PROJECT as a data file and saving your PROJECT as a movie then let me know.

Hello, Last night I rebulit my video with VP and again tried to create a DVD. The results this morning were not a single thing on the disk. I got up this morning and the dvd disk was open, and on the pc screen was a dialog box saying my dvd was succseful. Again there was not a thing on the disk. I am now trying to change my .vpj file to an .avi file and maybe try DVDstyler again. I have tried it a few weeks ago and could not get my audio to play. I posted on their forum a couple of times and they blocked me from posting anymore. So thats when I found VP. What a hassel this project is turning out to be. I appreciate your help in this. It look like the coversion to .AVI will be awhile. Thank You Larry

Hi Larry

If you follow the steps I posted above carefully, you should end up with an .avi file on your PC. You can check that this plays OK before going any further by opening it with either WMP (It should play if you used the MPEG4 (Native) setting I mentioned) or the free VLC player. It should also play in the Irfanview player.

If it plays OK then use a third party DVD creator. You can create your DVD using DVDStyler......Sothink DVD creator.......or the Windows DVD creator program that came with the old version of Movie Maker..

All of these will permit you to make menus and allow you to put several projects onto the disc.

If your .avi file is OK then you will not need to use VP for the DVD bit as it seems you are not getting it to work.

Best of luck

Nat

Hi Larry

So far so good. :)

Having setup your menu options your videos to burn will be shown as thumbnails along the bottom of the main screen. (and if you have set it up OK you will have images and titles associated with the selection rectangles.)

Now click the orange disc icon on the tool bar for "Burn"

In the screen that comes up, tick the box for "preview" Note that the radio button "burn" will be active. Don't worry though, as soon as it has done its' work it will stop and allow you to preview your disc before continuing.....In fact you don't need a disc in at this point.

Now click "Start"

Styler will generate a progress list and a complete DVD preview with menus on your PC and open it in media player so you can run through and check that it all works.

After closing the player, Styler, (still open behind the scenes) will prompt you to create a DVD (provided you are happy with the result you have just tested)

Click "yes" and with a DVD in the slot it will carry on and complete the burn.

It's a pretty useful piece of software and as you have probably found very versatile. Just needs a bit practice.

Nat

Hello again I have followed your direction and have succesfully created a useable dvd. I am sure I would have never gotten to this ending without your help. I am so thankful for your help. Larry ps. keep up the good work. You can call this post a cure, and close it. Later

Edited by pokey23