"Updating cache..."

ad101867

Hi, gang. Lately I've been noticing how long it takes to reopen a saved project file. I'm doing a feature-length edit (approx. 2 hours) and have just reopened that project after having shut down VP earlier. It's taking forever to get through the initial "Updating cache" stage. How long is that supposed to take, if the program is running properly?

Thanks,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, am I the only one who's had this problem? I contacted NCH about it, and received this suggestion: "Go to Options->General->Under cache field there is a button named 'Clear cache'. Click on this button & then press 'Ok'. After clearing cache restart VideoPad and retry. Do let us know your result."

Well, that doesn't work. How am I supposed to now reopen a project on which I've spent hours and hours...? Would appreciate any suggestions by forum members!

Hi

As you load clips to project and your sequence tracks, the cache file gradually grows with the details of what the clips are, their sizes etc, copies them and records the thumbnails and details of the cuts inserts and transitions you make. If you don't clear out the cache after finishing a project those files remain there and any new projects you start continue to build up the file. This can make the cache extremely large and possibly hinder the loading and reconstruction of the newer project (??), although you can limit its' maximum size under "Options".

In the earlier version of VP the option was to "Clear the cache" and that removed ALL the files. The option in version 3.02 is to "Remove all unused files". Selecting this removes the cache files that are not related to the current project but leaves the files that are in use. This might speed up loading as NHC suggests.

In my experience the sequence fills almost straight away if the cache files are present

(compared with a long delay if the cache has been completely emptied and consequently has to be rebuilt) Intialising the files is also faster, but there is still a delay as VP seems to have to run through the sequence updating things.

Can't think of a way to really speed it up.(3.02)

Nat

Thanks, Nat! I believe I finally understood the cache thing now. I tried reopening a project--and just let the thing run for a couple hours, went away and did something else and came back later. It was able to reopen, but took a while. After that I tried it a second time--but this time after unchecking the checkbox for "clear cache" (for some reason that had been the default configuration). After that the project loaded instantly! Whew!!!