ES audio getting more tinny as time goes by

Barbara Graham

It seems to me clearly that the audio quality in ES is getting more tinny and thus worse and not better. I am using now 5.48 but wanted to upgrade to 5.54 or 5.55, but I can't use it because the audio is so tinny. I wanted to upgrade because the fast speed settings in 5.48 do not work correctly -- the setting for 150% clips off words, for example. The fast speed settings in 5.54/5.55 do work correctly, but I cannot use it because of the audio quality. Does anyone have any information on why the audio is getting more tinny? Changing the bass settings changes the sound but does not make it any less tinny or any better.

• 2 weeks later...

You are absolutely right, Barbara, and it's almost unbearable for me to transcribe in version 5.55 on my laptop. I have been using 4.30 on my desktop for years, but having Win7 on my laptop as well as a need for DSS file transcribing has forced me to purchase a Pro version of Express Scribe. Both 5.51 and now 5.55 produce a horrible tinny sound that I have not been able to get rid of. I did read from an old board about setting decibel levels to -30, that is negative 30, but this option is not available in either of these 5.xx versions.

I am frustrated that I paid for a transcribing program that produces such low-quality audio! If NCH is going to require the Pro (paid) version to transcribe DSS files, at least provide settings adjustments to achieve quality audio.