Express Scribe Freezes

Guest Pat

I love Express Scribe but it always freezes up at some point and I have to close it

down and restart the computer. I have 512 megs of ram and a very fast PC so I don't get it. I use Windows 2003. :(

• 9 months later...
Guest CPuylear

My wife uses ES, and it does the same to her machine often. I am the household "IT" wizard, and must deal with her frustration on at least a weekly basis that everything locks up. Every time, the problem traces back to ES snagging 100% of the CPU resources and locking everything else up.

I’m finding the same concern on several different PC’s…..has anyone contacted and been provided with any sort of resolution from NCH support?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest JimJ@inscodico.com

I have a serious problem with Express Scribe locking up my PC. I'm running XP Pro with 512 RAM, along with MS Office Pro and Dragon Naturally Speaking 7.0. I'm using an E-Mu 0404 Pro sound card. I'm wondering if the RIMM memory on my 1.8 GHz Dell might be a factor, as my wife runs the program with no problem, and has never had the lockups I've experienced.

Everything was going smoothly, and now, I can't seem to run the program for more than a couple of minutes before I hear a couple of blips, and finally, one long tone that plays until I manually power off.

I had thought I had a hardware problem, but after much hardware diagnosis (removing cards, swapping out CPU and memory, etc.), I came to realize that my PC only locked up with Express Scribe open. Of course, it's essential for transcribing, so I'm really out of luck.

I re-downloaded the program to re-install, and noticed the audio demo file played back with a lot of scratchiness in the audio file. Has anyone else noticed this?