noise instead music by recording

Guest sh

I recorded my casette tape via an appropriate cable to the IN input on the computer. this is in my case the same input point as for microphone.

I've succeeded prevously recording htis way.

now I got just noise, but no music recorded.

should I set the software on " mic volume" or sound blaster PCI?

kindly your advice

Hi Sh:

When you click on the red "record" button, a RECORD CONTROL window opens. In the upper right corner (the box is marked "Recording") are settings for where the sound COMES FROM that you want to record. Leave the TOP choice at "[Default Sound In]", then start your music playing (your cassette or CD).

Now push the red "record" button on the RECORD CONTROL window. If you don't see the VU METER registering any sound (in the lower right corner), then go back to the "Recording" box and change the INPUT setting from the pull-down menu until you find one that makes the VU meter show the sound.

Other programs (including the WINDOWS RECORDING MIXER) can change these settings, even when WAVEPAD is not running or loaded.

Jerry

hi Jerry

thanks for your prompt reply, since I am not skilled with recording please another question.

I like to make sure I have connected the IN plug in the right socket.

I've only two sockets indeed

one for microphone and the second one for speakers.

normally the in line is this as for the microphone

am I right?

my sound card is creative sound blaster PCI

thanks for your advice

Hi Sh:

This is going to be hard to diagnose at a distance, because different brands of computers are built differently. I have 3 sockets on mine -- with little pictures instead of labels -- but the pictures lead me to believe one is "line out", one is "line in", and one is "microphone in". It's entirely possible you have only a LINE OUT and a MICROPHONE IN. Sometimes a microphone plug is a little shorter than a LINE IN plug, so (theoretically) a microphone plug will fit into a LINE IN socket and make a proper connection.

There are also connecting cords, with male plugs on both ends, made for feeding line-level signals into microphone-only inputs. These special cords have "pads" (sound level attenuators) built into them, so the microphone input does not get overloaded (distorted) by a large incoming signal. I bought my adapter cord at RADIO SHACK.

If you have only a MICROPHONE input, then if you plug in a line-level sound source (using a padded connecting cord), the sound will appear at the WAVEPAD input as MICROPHONE. But try all the settings -- the sound should be there somewhere.

Sorry I can't offer better advice (without actually looking at the back of your computer case).

Jerry