No sound

mtngem

Just down loaded it a bit ago.

Few days.

Was having fun with it. Trying to make some speech files for a cartoon Im making (for fun/hobby)

Now after I record there is no sounds.

It is playing a previous recorded bit.

No idea whatsoever if I accidently touched something.

And how do I get song files out of my ms media player. I burned a CD and need a song off it.

Thanks much.

Hi mtngem:

This are tricky questions -- and hard to answer at arm's length -- and I don't "understand" all I know about "WavePad" [and other sound-card recorders] yet (if you know what I mean).

Most of these devices seem to be geared toward "recording anything you can hear through your sound card." I have two computers on which these things work perfectly, and a third computer that I can't get ANYTHING to record "what I hear through the speakers."

Here's some stuff to check:

Start WAVEPAD, click on

FILE -> WAVEPAD OPTIONS -> GENERAL

Make sure "Prompt for Sample Rate and Channels" is selected.

Click OK to close the window.

Now, play something through your sound card (that you can hear).

Click on the red WAVEPAD "record" button.

A little window will open where you can select Mono or Stereo. Pick one, and click OK.

The little window closes.

A new window called RECORD CONTROL opens.

The layout of this window changed between v2.0 and v2.10. I'm going to describe v2.10, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding the matching controls in v2.0.

Click on ADVANCED RECORD OPTIONS, a little window opens. UNchecked everything, and click OK. The little window closes.

Click on the red "record" button in the lower left corner of this little RECORD CONTROL window, and you should see the recording timer in the lower right corner start running. The VU meter is under it. If you're actually recording what you're hearing through your speakers, you should see activity on the VU meters.

If you don't see any VU activity, start checking the settings in the upper right corner of the RECORD CONTROL window in the box labeled RECORDING. Mine works (on 2 of the 3 machines) with DEVICE=DEFAULT SOUND IN, and INPUT=WINDOWS RECORD MIXER. If don't "see" any sound, try other combinations.

Another place your audio signal could be getting interrupted is if you ARE using the WINDOWS RECORD MIXER. If you are, instead of a SLIDER next to "Volume", you'll see a big button labeled OPEN WINDOWS RECORD MIXER. Click it. A new window opens on top.

The WINDOWS RECORD MIXER is going to have volume controls for the different devices on your computer. My has "CD Player", "Microphone", "Line In", and "Wave Out Mix". "Wave Out Mix" is my sound card. If the volume control isn't "up" and if the SELECT box at the bottom of the slider isn't checked, NO SOUND gets through to WAVEPAD.

Maybe one of these several controls has gotten switched on your system. Other programs may also use your sound-card and Windows Record Mixer, and may have changed the settings.

Good luck.

Jerry

EDIT (11/19/05): I just came across an interesting page on these "Sound-Card into Recorder" problems. Maybe this will help.

http://www.delback.co.uk/pcaudiofaq.htm