How to change the bits

OMO

Are you talking about the "bitrate" of a new recording (you haven't made yet), or CHANGING the bitrate of an EXISTING recording to something different from what it is now?

Jerry

I'm talking about the bitrate of a new recording.

Omo

Hi Omo:

Try this:

FILE -> WAVEPAD OPTIONS

On the GENERAL tab, make sure that "Prompt for Sample Rate and Channels" is selected.

Click OK to close the window.

Now, when you click on the red RECORD button (near the bottom left of the screen) to make a new recording, a little window should open, called NEW FILE. The first field in that window is SAMPLE RATE. It seems to default to 44100, but if you click on the drop-down menu, a list of other choices is available (6000 to 96000). Is this what you want to set?

Jerry

Hi Jerry:

8/16/24/32 bits

You might have seen terms like "8 bits" or "16 bits" when looking at sound files but are not sure what they mean. The number of bits, like in the sample rate, is an indicator of the quality or resolution of the sound inside the file. The more bits the better resolution. WavePad uses 32 bits internally for optimal audio quality. However 16 bits is usually more than adequate for saving.

---------------------

I mean this. How can I change the bits when I begin to record?

Hi Omo:

After you make your recording,

FILE -> SAVE (or SAVE AS)

a window opens prompting for a file name and a location where you want to save the file. It defaults to WAV files. When you click the SAVE button, another little window opens with choices for FORMAT and ATTRIBUTES.

The default attribute seems to be

8.000kHz, 8 Bit, Mono 7 kb/sec

but the drop-down menu offers several other choices.

Is this what you're looking for?

Jerry

Hi Omo:

a window opens prompting for a file name and a location where you want to save the file.  It defaults to WAV files.  When you click the SAVE button, another little window opens with choices for FORMAT and ATTRIBUTES.

Jerry

a window opens prompting for a file name and a location where you want to save the file. It defaults to WAV files. When you click the SAVE button, another little window opens with choices for FORMAT and ATTRIBUTES.

This help me. But I have another question:

When I record using line input from cassette to my computer. The original cassette is mono and after recording I like to make it mono MP3 file. After converting MP3 file using mono, I lost the voice?

I must record using stereo so I get voice, if I use mono I lost voice. The voice is only in the right channel.

Sorry my bad english:-(. I like that you understand what I mean.

Hi Omo:

This problem of MONO and STEREO has come up before. I've never used the stereo-to-mono conversion myself, but from what I gather from the other posts in this forum on the subject is that WAVEPAD uses only the LEFT stereo channel when it makes a MONO copy of a STEREO file -- it doesn't SUM the two STEREO channels into one MONO channel.

I don't know of a good work-around for this at this time. I may play around with it later, because it's a good question.

Your English is fine. Thanks to it, I now know the difference between "bits" and "bitrate" or "sampling rate."

Jerry