What does the "slider" do?

jerry4dos

This is not a complaint -- it's just that there's a WavePad feature that I don't understand, and I couldn't find any documentaton in the HELP file.

At the bottom-left of each file window is a slider. As a cue plays, it starts to move out from the left, but it never gets more than 1/5 of the way across the slider range, even if the cue is played to its end.

If I drag the slider 3/4 of the way across, the cursor is placed 3/4 of the way through the cue, but the slider jumps back to the far left. If I click on the slider while it is at the far left, the cursor immediately jumps from where it was to the beginning of the cue.

(1) What do the slider's movements indicate?

(2) Is there a good use for dragging the slider, other than just positioning the cursor within the entire cue (like I can do by clicking on the small waveform)?

Thanks.

Jerry

EDIT 11/08/05: This anomaly seems to be related to "file size." On files up to 4 minutes duration, the slider behaves in a predictable manner across its whole range. On longer files, the slider jumps back to "zero" after each 4-minute chunk.