Make good old Wavepad 3.05 work in Windows 7!!!

wavepad fan

I've been using wavepad 3.05 for years. I LOVE it. Wavepad 3.12 had some stupid problems (constantly using Windows clipboard), so I just went back to 3.05.

Well, I tried the latest version only because Windows 7 can't run 3.05. NCH messed up Wavepad!!! T.T

The equalizer now amplifies your file to compensate for volume lost from equalizing. No thanks!!! Let me be in control of the volume, thank you. Also, the equalizer no longer remembers your settings, so you have to manually put them in each time you want to try an equalization. Why is it less functional now?

Most annoyingly, Wavepad often only plays the selected region ONCE, and then often jumps back to the start of the file, so you have to click and scroll to get back to the selected region. How could NCH kill the agility of the program like that? Just so people can listen to other parts of the file without de-selecting the region? NOT WORTH IT.

Oddly, Wavepad plays some little chunk of the selected region after it plays the selected region. I don't know who on Earth would want that.

WHY DID THEY MESS UP WAVEPAD!! It's still better than clunky Audacity, but it was AWAESOME in version 3.05 (which was not updated for more than a year, as I recall). A couple functions didn't work perfectly, but it was so agile and overall it was awesome.

Did NCH get new management since version 3.05? So disappointed... NCH, Please make version 3.05 for Windows 7. Please!!! Even the green waves looked cooler than the gray format you have now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using wavepad 3.05 for years. I LOVE it. Wavepad 3.12 had some stupid problems (constantly using Windows clipboard), so I just went back to 3.05.

Well, I tried the latest version only because Windows 7 can't run 3.05. NCH messed up Wavepad!!! T.T

The equalizer now amplifies your file to compensate for volume lost from equalizing. No thanks!!! Let me be in control of the volume, thank you. Also, the equalizer no longer remembers your settings, so you have to manually put them in each time you want to try an equalization. Why is it less functional now?

Most annoyingly, Wavepad often only plays the selected region ONCE, and then often jumps back to the start of the file, so you have to click and scroll to get back to the selected region. How could NCH kill the agility of the program like that? Just so people can listen to other parts of the file without de-selecting the region? NOT WORTH IT.

Oddly, Wavepad plays some little chunk of the selected region after it plays the selected region. I don't know who on Earth would want that.

WHY DID THEY MESS UP WAVEPAD!! It's still better than clunky Audacity, but it was AWAESOME in version 3.05 (which was not updated for more than a year, as I recall). A couple functions didn't work perfectly, but it was so agile and overall it was awesome.

Did NCH get new management since version 3.05? So disappointed... NCH, Please make version 3.05 for Windows 7. Please!!! Even the green waves looked cooler than the gray format you have now.

I just installed v- 4.52 and it works fine on 7- 64bit

you may have to just use it on a dual boot setup...talking dual operating system, your old O/S for wavepad and 7 for the rest.

it's been too long since I used and loved 3.05...I think that was my first....and it took 2 years to pay for it!!!!! I could have just used the free version, but I was a fairly happy customer and wanted to pay for the product.....the bloody shopping cart they use is not compatible with normal banks...probably an exchange thing, they don't know and never could get a straight answer...but yeah, two years....I forget how and when it finally went thru...I should of taken notes and saved it as a diary...it was hilarious

I just purchased switch plus and paypal went thru, but the visa wouldn't, so they still have bank shopping cart issues.

I use switch plus, to extract audio from dvds....I have lectures and sermons and teachings on dvd, but wanted to just hear them...on my sansa clip plus...so this worked perfect for me...

you can still make it green in options like the old version looked

I just installed v- 4.52 and it works fine on 7- 64bit

you may have to just use it on a dual boot setup...talking dual operating system, your old O/S for wavepad and 7 for the rest.

it's been too long since I used and loved 3.05...I think that was my first....and it took 2 years to pay for it!!!!! I could have just used the free version, but I was a fairly happy customer and wanted to pay for the product.....the bloody shopping cart they use is not compatible with normal banks...probably an exchange thing, they don't know and never could get a straight answer...but yeah, two years....I forget how and when it finally went thru...I should of taken notes and saved it as a diary...it was hilarious

I just purchased switch plus and paypal went thru, but the visa wouldn't, so they still have bank shopping cart issues.

I use switch plus, to extract audio from dvds....I have lectures and sermons and teachings on dvd, but wanted to just hear them...on my sansa clip plus...so this worked perfect for me...

you can still make it green in options like the old version looked

Maybe NCH is understaffed and is having a hard time getting its act together. Some of the stupid changes that have happened to Wavepad could be sloppy programming from a burnt out programming team.

Thanks, but I don't have XP mode in my version of Windows 7. Too bad.

No problem. You don't need XP mode. I explained how I installed 3.05 on my Windows 7 system in the following thread, which I updated yesterday:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=14242

Please read the seventh post from that thread, in particular, which I just added to summarize the steps for anyone who is in a similar situation.

Also note that when I mentioned XP or Vista COMPATIBILITY mode (as opposed to "XP Mode"), I meant the compatibility mode that you can select on the Compatibility Tab of the "Properties" dialog, which you get when you right click either the Wavepad desktop icon or the Wavepad program item in the Windows Start menu.

And, of course, first you have to check the checkbox where it says: "Run this program in compatibility mode for" -- And then you can select the mode from the dropdown that works best for you. (You can use this method for any old program you have. It works for some programs; it doesn't work for others, and for those, you need the real XP mode.) Originally, I selected XP, but after I experimented a bit I upgraded myself (so to speak) to Vista service pack 2, and now Wavepad 3.05 works better for me than it ever did even on my original XP notebook.

Try it for yourself, and let us know how it works out.

Regards.

No problem. You don't need XP mode. I explained how I installed 3.05 on my Windows 7 system in the following thread, which I updated yesterday:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=14242

Please read the seventh post from that thread, in particular, which I just added to summarize the steps for anyone who is in a similar situation.

Also note that when I mentioned XP or Vista COMPATIBILITY mode (as opposed to "XP Mode"), I meant the compatibility mode that you can select on the Compatibility Tab of the "Properties" dialog, which you get when you right click either the Wavepad desktop icon or the Wavepad program item in the Windows Start menu.

And, of course, first you have to check the checkbox where it says: "Run this program in compatibility mode for" -- And then you can select the mode from the dropdown that works best for you. (You can use this method for any old program you have. It works for some programs; it doesn't work for others, and for those, you need the real XP mode.) Originally, I selected XP, but after I experimented a bit I upgraded myself (so to speak) to Vista service pack 2, and now Wavepad 3.05 works better for me than it ever did even on my original XP notebook.

Try it for yourself, and let us know how it works out.

Regards.

Thanks!!! It didn't work exactly as you said, because my computer just refused to even try to install the software (instead it opened an NCH page to get the new version of Wavepad). But then I right clicked on the uninstalled exe file, and chose "Troubleshoot compatibility". Then I clicked "Try recommended settings" and then "Start the program".

It worked!!! Wavepad is young and athletic again!!!