Windows 7 and Wavepad 3.05 (or 3.x)

Delta

Does Wavepad version 3.05 (or 3.x) work on Windows 7 ?

Has anyone tried it?

Also, it occurred to me that if Wavepad 3.05 doesn't work under the "Windows home premium" version, then it may work under the "Windows professional" version using "XP mode."

So, the question is whether anyone has tried either method, and if so, can you shed some light?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, now I’m partially able to answer my own question, as I’ve recently acquired a new system with Windows 7. This is only a partial answer because I really only use the basic editing features.

Drum roll, please … and the (partial) answer is …

Yes! It works!

When trying to install it, it complained about not being designed for any version after Vista, but then it allowed me to install it with the compatibility wizard. It created a shortcut on my desktop, which I right-clicked, clicked the compatibility tab, and then selected XP service pack 3. The compatibility mode that I settled on was XP service pack 3 because that’s the last operating system that I happily ran it under.

Now you might reasonably ask me why I don’t just upgrade to the new version of WavePad, and the answer is I would except for one very critical design flaw. But that’s the subject for another post: WavePad Screen Scrolling – An Ocular Migraine.

Ok, now I’m partially able to answer my own question, as I’ve recently acquired a new system with Windows 7. This is only a partial answer because I really only use the basic editing features.

Yes! It works!

When trying to install it, it complained about not being designed for any version after Vista, but then it allowed me to install it with the compatibility wizard. It created a shortcut on my desktop, which I right-clicked, clicked the compatibility tab, and then selected XP service pack 3. The compatibility mode that I settled on was XP service pack 3 because that’s the last operating system that I happily ran it under.

Now you might reasonably ask me why I don’t just upgrade to the new version of WavePad, and the answer is I would except for one very critical design flaw. But that’s the subject for another post: WavePad Screen Scrolling – An Ocular Migraine.

I have been using version 3.05 since Nov 2007.... it's solid as a ROCK !!

Used it with XP Home and Professional, both SP2 & SP3....No Problems Mon !!

Glad to know it works ok with Windows 7, as I'm about to use another system.

Regards (Cayman Islands)

• 9 months later...

Yes! It works!

yeah, I don't like that bloody screen scrolling bit myself

I had to bite the bullet and just work around it...but yes it is quite annoying

not that the engineers give a rats patoot....they'd have to admit they messed up then eh!?

if they're really customer service oriented, they'd make a switch, to scroll, on or off

like the new ugly non color gray...at least they allowed us to put back the green!

just don't expect much, and you'll be pleased as punch.....:-)

yeah, I don't like that bloody screen scrolling bit myself

...at least they allowed us to put back the green!

Well I got the "classic colors" that I requested back in this post:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=10597

but I seem to be pretty much a lone voice on the scrolling issue - re:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=14280

I can't work around that issue because it makes me physically sick (no joke).

However, I'm happy to report the good news is that I've been using Wavepad 3.05 under Windows 7 since back in April 2010. The only thing I've changed since I wrote my post above is that now I'm running it under Vista compatibility, service pack 2. It runs just as good as it did on my original Windows XP laptop, only now it runs faster. If they fix the scrolling issue then I can upgrade since I think Wavepad is otherwise the best.

Regards

I wasn't originally writing a "how to" in this thread, but in case anyone is looking for a step by step, here it is:

1. Run the installer for Wavepad 3.05 (or any version 3.x)

2. If the MS compatibility wizard comes up, let it do its thing, just proceed to install the program regardless of any messages.

3. Now right click on the Wavepad desktop icon (or the Wavepad program item in the Windows Start Menu) and select "Properties"

4. When the Properties dialog comes up, select the "Compatiblity Tab"

5. Check the box that says, "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

6. Select a mode from the dropdown box that works best for you. You may have to experiement a bit, but I found that Vista, service pack 2 works best for me.

7. Click "Apply" and "OK" and all that and you're all done and good to run.

Note: You don't need XP Mode to do the above.