Forward Dictation Files Are Huge

ginger_hoffman

Whenever I have attempted to forward dictation from ExpressScribe, the resulting .dct file is so big it's nearly impossible to get it sent to anyone else. I don't think I've ever actually succeeded in doing so. The last attempt (from transcriptionist back to me) resulted in a file size of 1.15GB (!!) and a very long upload/download time even with cable internet, and then the file crashed ES every one of the three times I tried loading it. I've looked everywhere I can think of for how to change the format it saves/forwards in but have yet to find the answer. I have only attempted to upload to an FTP site and save as a .dct file since it seems there'd be no way to email a 10MB file let alone something over 1GB. This was a 2-hour audio file; longer than usual but even 30-minute files turn into monsters.

How do you reduce the file sizes of audio forwarded using ES? Usually it's easy to upload an MP3, WAV, DSS, DVF, etc. file to an FTP site and then load that into ES but sometimes the original audio is just not accessible and I need it from ES.

Thank you!

Ginger

Forwarded DCT's are always created using GSM codec, which should create much smaller files than you're seeing.

Are you using Windows? Which version of Scribe?

Express Scribe v 5.06

Windows 7 Home Premium

But I have always had this problem so I avoid sending dictation files with ES altogether. I still love the program, though.