A question regarding caller ID.

genci88

I have set up Express Talk to receive calls from Sipgate. I have also registered all my contacts in the address book.

But whenever there is an incoming call I cannot see the caller's name. I can see their number, but not the name.

In the bubble message that appears on the taskbar when there is an incoming call, I can see two lines: one is my Sipgate number, and the other is the caller's number.

How can I set up Express Talk to display the caller's name on that message instead?

Thanks in advance.

Does your Sipgate service provide Caller-ID with name service? If you use a different softphone, do you see the caller's name?

Many VoIP services will offer free Caller-ID services, but will not provide Caller Names.

This is due to the fact that the service provider usually has to pay for access to a CNAM database (for Caller Name Lookups), which is typically charged on a pay-per-call basis.

In order to save money, many providers don't offer name services or charge extra for them.

On a separate note, Caller-ID with name service is only available to North American subscribers, most other countries do not include the Name in the local Caller-ID standard.

Thanks for the reply.

Another SIP softphone, X-Lite, does display the incoming caller's name with no issues, but only after I add them to the contact list of course (you know, the same way a cell phone works).

But I really hate X-Lite, and Express Talk is a much better program overall. I just wish there was a way to fix this issue, as it's been bothering me quite a bit.

Oh I see, so you do not normally get Caller Name identification, you just want Express Talk to cross-reference the caller's number to your address book list so that Express Talk can identify who's calling by name?

In that case, it could just be that NCH never implemented this feature. You would need to contact NCH directly to resolve the issue.