WMA, hyper-threading, MP3Tag, Output, bitrates

Diego

Hi,

I have been evaluating this interesting program and I'd like to request some features that would make it my absolute first choice. Sorted by importance:

- WMA. Windows Media Audio 9.1 support: wma, wma professional (High bit rates), and wma lossless.

- Output folder -> to the same folder where the original files are located. Very often I use windows search feature in order to find files located in different folders. I'd like to be able to right click all the files and set the destination of the converted files to the same folder where the originals are located.

- Automatic delete original files after a successful conversion (the program should check that the files were successfully converted before deleting the originals)

- Conversion to different bit rates in relation to the original quality of the original file and based on user preferences. For example:

- The user searches for MP3 files in drive X, then "right click" -> Convert with Switch, then select the codec and then...

-If the original file is MP3 128 kbps CBR -> Convert it to Windows Media Audio 96 Kbps VBR,

-If the original file is MP3 192 kbps CBR -> Convert it to Windows Media Audio 128 Kbps VBR,

-If the original file is MP3 320 kbps CBR -> Convert it to Windows Media Audio 192 Kbps VBR,

- and so on... I guess you get the idea. ;-)

- Internet database ID tag support.

- Processor priority configuration.

- Hyper-threading and new Intel multiprocessors support in order to increase conversion speed.

That's all. TIA,

Diego (from Spain, BTW)

1) WMA - at this stage we are unlikely to do this, we are a little unsure about the licensing involved, if there are fees to pay to Microsoft etc.. If we find we can do it without paying fees then we will do it, otherwise we won't.

2) Output folder - that will be in the next version.

3) Delete files - next version too.

4) Conversion to different bit rates - I understand what you want, but I will have to think about this one for a bit just so I can find a way to do it that will satisfy everyone wanting to use such a feature in the future.

Hi,

Glad to see that you're working to improve this freeware tool. In fact I have found and I'm using another commercial tool with all these features included (except the point nº.4), but I want to write an article (in Spanish and English) about how to easily record streaming audio for free and your program almost fit my necessities.

I think that it's possible to implement wma support without paying fees to Microsoft. They are very interest in promoting this audio format, and I know about other free tools with wma support.

Thanks for your time, and greetings from Spain,

Diego

It's possible you are right about wma, we will continue to examine the issue. I can tell you that there was a case a year or two ago involving the wmv/asf format, where the maker of VirtualDub was threatened with legal action from Microsoft unless he removed support for wmv/asf from his product. That's the sort of thing we want to avoid.