what type of NAT

sipy

"How do I know what type of NAT I have?"

Download the following application made by the folks at Free World Dialup:

It should correctly determine your NAT type - although take the other information it gives with a grain of salt (it is not always accurate).

This is out of date. Can I get the update?

Then, I am on some standard router with roommates (like millions others, right?). What are the settings for various standard routers? What are the settings for various accounts (Betamax, Sipgate)?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately there are no 'universal standard' settings. Tthe ports you need to forward are determined by your Axon settings, not your VoIP provider. Axon will tell the VoIP provider what ports to use to communicate with, the router has to be instructed to allow the provider to use those ports to talk to axon and vice versa.

How you go about forwarding the necessary ports will vary significantly from router to router, even routers of the same brand. You will need to look up how to do it in the manual or contact the router manufacturer. As I said though, the ports you need to forward are the ones that are setup in your Axon settings (for example, a common port list may include 5060 UDP and 8000-16000 UDP).