Best Input Device and Method For Recording From LPs

MacPCConsultants

This is my first post here. Hello !

I have many 45's and 78's and want to make some CDs from them. I have both Macs (10.4 and 10.5) and Dell PC (Win XP). I own three standard turntables, one with a Grado cartridge.

Which platform is the better one to use ?

Should I feed in my turntable into the audio input, or should I feed it in through the USB port ? Should I get a USB turntable or a USB interface device and use my regular turntable ?

Is the GR software just as good on either a Mac or PC, or is one preferred ?

I've also heard of "Disc Jockey" for the Mac (by Roxio). How does that compare to Golden Records ?

At what bit rate does one record vinyl when saving it to a hard drive ?

Thank you !!

• 2 weeks later...

I have many 45's and 78's and want to make some CDs from them. I have both Macs (10.4 and 10.5) and Dell PC (Win XP). I own three standard turntables, one with a Grado cartridge.

Should I feed in my turntable into the audio input, or should I feed it in through the USB port ? Should I get a USB turntable or a USB interface device and use my regular turntable ?

I've also heard of "Disc Jockey" for the Mac (by Roxio). How does that compare to Golden Records ?

Thank you !!

Reply: I plan a more detailed post regarding my experiences with NCH, their Golden Records program (I purchased the full download with technical support), and the alternative choices I have found. To briefly summarize: for a Windows PC running 64 bit VISTA, I found the GoldWave product to be easier to use, more intuitive, and fully able to do anything I want with material from vinyl or tape. No crashes and completed products are easy to find and work with. VISTA has not been a problem and, overall, works very well for me. Golden Records seemd clunky and counter-intuitive. Golden Records seemed to be a much more involved process and project compared to using GoldWave.

• 2 months later...

I bought a little gadget made by Behringer called U-control (UCA202) for $30 which hooks between the amp line output and USB port. I kept my old amp cause it has RIAA compensation and low level phono inputs. It's plug & play and works like a charm.

Thank you !!