Question about making voice recordings sound better

Nasir203

i record my vocals seperately then add them to the music so naturally the music sounds great, but my voice just doesn't have that same quality. it doesn't sound totally horrible or anything but you can kind of tell that i recorded it in a bedroom on a computer microphone. is there anything i can do to make my voice sound more "professional" so it can sound just as good as the music? a better microphone maybe? should i be using certain effects or anything? please help! thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

i record my vocals seperately then add them to the music so naturally the music sounds great, but my voice just doesn't have that same quality. it doesn't sound totally horrible or anything but you can kind of tell that i recorded it in a bedroom on a computer microphone. is there anything i can do to make my voice sound more "professional" so it can sound just as good as the music? a better microphone maybe? should i be using certain effects or anything? please help! thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

A better microphone and preamp is a good place to start. Essentially if the initial recording is of a certain quality, it will never really get any better. You can run a million noise reduction FX but bottom line is hardware.

That being said, Dynamic Compression and the right Equalising can do wonders. The problem with compressing a bad original signal though is, all that white noise in the background will actually be increased in volume! hence why it's important to capture a nice clean signal originally.

You might want to try googling equalizing, its a bit of an art and highly dependant on the individuals voice. Less is generally better, and cutting frequencies as opposed to boosting them is prefered.

Compression will just even out the signal in general too, so it is worth looking into if your vocal technique tends to go very loud then very soft.

Yes, u really need a preamp and a good microphone. Today, there are a lot of cheap condenser microphones on the market.

This type of microphone usually needs to be feed with phantom-power(+48 volt), but most preamps, also the very cheap ones can do that.

About equalization, it is common that a male voice needs to be cut a bit in the lower frequencies and boosted in the upper mid.

u can also a apply some reverb, that will make your voice fit better with the music.

------------

Bob at: Audio Player Informer