Imprting a file

allenapc

I just installed VideoPad.

ALL ATTEMPTS to import/add a file result in Nothing Happening.

I have used "Import" and "Add file" and every action I can find, but the VideoPad just sits there looking like it did when I first opened it (no pictures, file names, etc).

When i choose "Import footage," and select a file (.wmv or .flv or .avi), the footage appears in a pop-up window - but NOTHING I do can get it into the VideoPad screen.

:unsure: What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Allenapc

I just installed VideoPad.

ALL ATTEMPTS to import/add a file result in Nothing Happening.

I have used "Import" and "Add file" and every action I can find, but the VideoPad just sits there looking like it did when I first opened it (no pictures, file names, etc).

When i choose "Import footage," and select a file (.wmv or .flv or .avi), the footage appears in a pop-up window - but NOTHING I do can get it into the VideoPad screen.

:unsure: What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Allenapc

Well, nobody knows what I'm doing wrong, or nobody cares, or everyone thinks this is simply too basic a question.

Anyway, the program doesn't import/add anything, so it's useless to me!

Too bad - because I really like ALL of the OTHER NCH stuff.

:angry:My VideoPad now has a date with the RECYCLE BIN.

Allenapc

Well, nobody knows what I'm doing wrong, or nobody cares, or everyone thinks this is simply too basic a question.

Allenapc

Sorry Allenapc, it's not that nobody cares. I suspect that nobody else is seeing the same problem that you are having, or if they are they don't have any idea how to fix it either. It may be that you are not doing anything wrong, but without being able to see more information about your system and set up nobody can do much more than make wild guesses.

Is there anything unusual about your system that you could tell us about? Is it an XP or Vista system? If XP, do you have Service Pack 2 or later installed? (this will tell us if you have the expected stable base platform to work from) Are you able to run other simple video editing programs, like VideoSpin? (this will tell us if the problem is likely to be specific to VP). Can you view the videos you are trying to edit using media players like VLC and Windows Media Player? (this will help determine whether the codecs you require are installed on your system).

Bruce

Sorry Allenapc, it's not that nobody cares. I suspect that nobody else is seeing the same problem that you are having, or if they are they don't have any idea how to fix it either. It may be that you are not doing anything wrong, but without being able to see more information about your system and set up nobody can do much more than make wild guesses.

Is there anything unusual about your system that you could tell us about? Is it an XP or Vista system? If XP, do you have Service Pack 2 or later installed? (this will tell us if you have the expected stable base platform to work from) Are you able to run other simple video editing programs, like VideoSpin? (this will tell us if the problem is likely to be specific to VP). Can you view the videos you are trying to edit using media players like VLC and Windows Media Player? (this will help determine whether the codecs you require are installed on your system).

Bruce

Thanks for your reply Bruce.

Is it an XP or Vista system? If XP, do you have Service Pack 2 or later installed?

XP - Service Pack 3.

Are you able to run other simple video editing programs, like VideoSpin?

I can run several other simple programs, including Windows Movie Maker, VideoEditMaster, and various file-type converters.

I thought you might have led me to an alternative, but with VideoSpin at 162 Mb, I'll have to pass.

Can you view the videos you are trying to edit using media players like VLC and Windows Media Player?

Yes.

Actually, I have no problem converting files and editing them with Windows Movie Maker and then converting them again to my desired format. It's just that I have been impressed with other NCH programs (Wavepad, Switch, etc) that I wanted the whole collection, including VideoPad. I have even downloaded it from different sources and re-installed it 3 times (after unistalling the previous version), but the program continues to not import.

If I say "Import," I get a popup window with the file I have selected, and I can play it. Then I select "Add to footage," and nothing gets added anywhere. I have tried designating various "footage files," but that does no good as the files I designate never appear anywhere.

Thanks, Allen

If I say "Import," I get a popup window with the file I have selected, and I can play it. Then I select "Add to footage," and nothing gets added anywhere. I have tried designating various "footage files," but that does no good as the files I designate never appear anywhere.

Thanks, Allen

For what it's worth, and from this distance, there's no obvious deficiency in your system. I run XP SP3 like you, and as you can play the videos, there is no other obvious thing lacking.

When you Import, then Add to footage, all that you should see is the name of the imported file added to the list in the far left side of the screen, underneath the project name (Untitled unless you've saved the Project as something else) If you're not seeing that imported file name added I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

Sorry

Bruce

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your reply Bruce.

Is it an XP or Vista system? If XP, do you have Service Pack 2 or later installed?

XP - Service Pack 3.

Are you able to run other simple video editing programs, like VideoSpin?

I can run several other simple programs, including Windows Movie Maker, VideoEditMaster, and various file-type converters.

I thought you might have led me to an alternative, but with VideoSpin at 162 Mb, I'll have to pass.

Can you view the videos you are trying to edit using media players like VLC and Windows Media Player?

Yes.

Actually, I have no problem converting files and editing them with Windows Movie Maker and then converting them again to my desired format. It's just that I have been impressed with other NCH programs (Wavepad, Switch, etc) that I wanted the whole collection, including VideoPad. I have even downloaded it from different sources and re-installed it 3 times (after unistalling the previous version), but the program continues to not import.

Thanks, Allen

Allen, I know this is late but it may help others. I had the same problem and found that if you right click on one of the blank audio panels at the bottom of the screen, everything changes. The files I imported showed up in a window that was minimized in the top left corner. Found that right clicks at various places had similar results as whole sections appeared from nowhere. Great things can be found by right and left clicking....try it. I can't get more detailed at the moment as I haven't figured it all out yet.

Allen, I know this is late but it may help others. I had the same problem and found that if you right click on one of the blank audio panels at the bottom of the screen, everything changes. The files I imported showed up in a window that was minimized in the top left corner. Found that right clicks at various places had similar results as whole sections appeared from nowhere. Great things can be found by right and left clicking....try it. I can't get more detailed at the moment as I haven't figured it all out yet.

Beat me to it.. I know when I run VideoPad on smaller monitors, some of the windows get shrunk or disappear. I'm not sure if there is a simple solution unless floating windows were somehow involved.

• 3 weeks later...