Turntable Hum Problem

audiofool

As most of us know, Golden Records doesn't pick up certain turntables without a pre-amp. I purchased a small pre-amp with high hopes of continuing the project. I now have a noticeble hum. Very annoying. Here's the info.

Turntable has RCA cables to pre-amp 15" length. RCA cables from pre-amp to amplifier 18" length. Turntable is grounded to pre-amp per instructions. Grounding to electrical conduit has no effect.

I'm aware that the shorter the cables, the less hum will be noticed.

Any ideas? Would buying high end RCA cables help? The turntable is not near any power transformers.

Thank Guys !!

As most of us know, Golden Records doesn't pick up certain turntables without a pre-amp. I purchased a small pre-amp with high hopes of continuing the project. I now have a noticeble hum. Very annoying. Here's the info.

Turntable has RCA cables to pre-amp 15" length. RCA cables from pre-amp to amplifier 18" length. Turntable is grounded to pre-amp per instructions. Grounding to electrical conduit has no effect.

I'm aware that the shorter the cables, the less hum will be noticed.

Any ideas? Would buying high end RCA cables help? The turntable is not near any power transformers.

Thank Guys !!

You dont need a pre amp and amplifier.

Some Turntables come with a builtin pre amp - dont need 2 amps!

If Turntable has no pre amp then yes you will need to go through an amplifier.

Try running the turntable from the same electrical outlet as the computer ( to give common earth)

Do not run power cables parallel or near the RCA cables.

Move the Turntable away from computer, short cables are not always the answer, I run 2m cables with no problem.

Ensure other electrical units are not close by or at least turn the off. Printers / scanners etc should be off.

You dont need a pre amp and amplifier.

Some Turntables come with a builtin pre amp - dont need 2 amps!

If Turntable has no pre amp then yes you will need to go through an amplifier.

Try running the turntable from the same electrical outlet as the computer ( to give common earth)

Do not run power cables parallel or near the RCA cables.

Move the Turntable away from computer, short cables are not always the answer, I run 2m cables with no problem.

Ensure other electrical units are not close by or at least turn the off. Printers / scanners etc should be off.

Thanks for the reply.

I need a pre-amp because my newer A/V reciever doesn't have phono inputs. My table doesn't have a pre-amp.

Golden Records claims you can go direct from turntable to computer, but magnetic cartridges have different voltage outputs. Mine unfortunately isn't high enough to trigger the program.

I will try moving all cables away from the turntable and see if that helps.

Thanks Again !