Difficulty recording to CD

javarunner

After transferring my vinyl recording to my PC and recording it to CD/R CD all I hear is white noise and some crackles when I play the CD. In addition, I get the same result if I play the tracks on the hard-drive using iTunes or Win Media Player.

I have tried this on 2 boxes and get the same result.

I have verified that I can play a commercial CD on both machines.

I'm using an ION TT USB turntable as my source and connecting thru a USB 2 connection.

Can any one tell me what is wrong here.

Thanks... :(

After transferring my vinyl recording to my PC and recording it to CD/R CD all I hear is white noise and some crackles when I play the CD. In addition, I get the same result if I play the tracks on the hard-drive using iTunes or Win Media Player.

I'm using an ION TT USB turntable as my source and connecting thru a USB 2 connection.

I am not familiar with the turntable - I use a Behringer U-Control UCA202 device, connected to my receiver (Tape Out jacks) and then connected to the PC by the USB cable. I am a newbie with Golden Records (GR) software. I have only converted eight or so albums, but I have had fantastic results. It sounds to me like a set-up problem. I would recommend that you record to file on your PC and transfer/burn it later. The reason I suggest is to save CDs and, more importantly, to be able to verify the tracks. Sometimes the conversion is not perfect. GR has a "Play" option, so once it has converted the track to .mp3 or .wav, you can verify immediately whether you have a successful conversion. If all you hear is noise, then I would guess that you have not selected the correct input device or there is a problem/setup issue with your turntable. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I am not familiar with your hardware.

Good luck. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Hi,

I might suggest a possible solution for records. Although the software ads suggest you do not need a preamp, I find that I need one when using my phonograph as input. My table does not have a built-in preamp, and my PC does not have an add-in sound card with an appropriate input for my turntable. The test for you is - can you hear your record playing thru your PC speakers using the Windows Media Player? If not, the direct output of the phono cartridge is not enough without a preamp. Maybe this helps.

Linky